Not open for further replies.

oursriharsha

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
vhdl case statement

when using the case statement for , it displays when others condition is not synthesized.

is there any alternative for this .

<code>
f (STROB1= "01")then

ADC_DATAMOS_TEMP <= ADC_DATAMOS;

else
ADC_DATAMOS_TEMP<= "ZZZZZZZZ";
end if ;

process (CLK_MOS,RST_MOS,ADC_DATAMOS,STROB1,RW_MOS)

begin

if (RST_MOS='0')then
ADC_DATAMOS_TEMP <="00000000";

elsif (RST_DAQ='1') then

case ADDR_MOS is
when "00001" => MOS_REG(0) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(1) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(2) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(3) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(4) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(5) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(6) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(7) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when others =>MOS_REG(8) <= ADC_DATAMOS; -- dummy register ..
-- DUNNO WHAT TO DO IN - --THIS others PLEASE HELP

end case ;
end if;
end process;

</code>

in the above case , i have a set of registers to which a data coming on the line is to be written basing on the address that we recieve .
What shuld be written when others case ./???

please help /

vhdl when statement

Thanks a ton for the quick reply ,
i was able to remove the synthesis error introducing a null statement in the others case.

but ,
the problem is with the warnings :

Latch generated from process for signal DAQ_REG_6(7 downto 0), probably caused by a missing assignment in an if or case stmt.

My question to you , is this others stament synthesizable ..?

If it is null how is it synthesized.

as i m to target the same to fpga also .

case statement vhdl

O.K. I didn't realize, that the case statement isn't placed within a clock sensitive condition.

In the case statement, you assign one bit of MOS_REG and leave the others unchanged. This creates a latch anyway, the problem isn't related to the existence of an others statement. It's legal code, but most likely, it doesn't work as expected. For reliable operation, a clock sensitive condition should control the assignment, then a register rather than a latch can be synthesized.

vhdl case when

For reliable operation, a clock sensitive condition should control the assignment, then a register rather than a latch can be synthesized.

But for some data Read write operations , can we have the operation clock dependent ?

(as is the case in my above code, i am just performing read write operations on data.)

case vhdl

You could also use:

When others =>
MOS_REG<=MOS_REG;

This will help the synthesizer, but you're still going to get latches. And their outputs are probably going to bounce around.

I totally agree with FvM: Use a clock.

when statement in vhdl

Remember that VHDL is a hardware description language, not a procedural programming language.
Check which hardware is generated from your code and if it can give stable data output. In the present
case, it can't.

case in vhdl

Attention plese : FVM /others

if i put these statements in a clock sensitive condition , can i ensure that it can generate hardware whch is stable.?

I m currently using synplify , so i am not able to see what hardware it synthesizes.
can u please tell me is there anyother tool through which i can also see the synthesized hardware .
(installed PRecison RTL , awiating License .)

when statement vhdl

If you use a clocked process, and the output of the process is the input to another clocked process, it will be stable (or the tools will tell you if there's a timing error).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…