Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cascading Two LAN9512 USB Hub Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonchenko

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, as the title suggested, I am trying to add 2 ethernet interface and several USB port to my Rasp Pi, using LAN9512. Since this will be used in project and the client wanted me to make the device as small as possible, using already available USB hub and USB to ethernet is not possible. In fact, I did so for first prototype, and it is rejected.

So, because RPi used Lan9512 as the ethernet controller and USB hub, I think I could cascade the chip to give me the additional two ethernet port and four USB port for USB to serial chip, USB to parallel chip, and a 3G modem. The configuration is as follow:

RPI and Double LAN9512 - upload.jpg
Drawing%2Cb60.png

RPi ==> LAN9512 #1 ==> LAN9512 #2, 3G Modem + Ethernet Port #1
LAN9512 #2 ==> USB-Serial Chip, USB-Parallel chip + Ethernet Port #2

Unfortunately, my design is not working. I have not attached the USB-Serial, USB-Parallel, and 3G Modem yet, still not working. Running ifconfig only shows the original eth0 port, and lsusb also only shows the default USB hub. My additional Lan9512 is not detected at all.

My question is, is my design concept flawed (e.g. I cannot just cascade a USB hub on top on other hub, and then cascade it again)? Or do I need to recompile the OS, make some driver adjustment perhaps? Because I thought because Lan 9512 is basically a USB device, I can just plug it into RPi USB port, and use it as hub for other Lan9512.

In the design, I do not use EEPROM for both additional LAN9512. Is this the problem? Because in the RPi design schematic, they do not use EEPROM. But reading the datasheet, it is pointed out that the EEPROM should contain USB device ID and mac address for ethernet.

I am pretty confused, so if anybody can give me heads up, that will be great. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back