Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cascading SPI devices to PIC 16F/18F

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLC1

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,
If anyone has an answer to my question below please feel free to respond.

When two devices are Cascaded to a uC via SPI is it possible to send seperate commands to each device without having to control CS(SS) on each device.

I am a little confused with the Cascading description. does the word length increase to 16 bits, with the first 8 bits being sent going to the second device(as it would get shifted out of first device) and then the second 8 bits then going to the first device in the chain?
Or would the first 8 bits get shifted in to both devices and then when second 8 bits is sent it then gets shifted into both devises? (this not what i want).
If this is the case then i will have to enable seperate control of CS on each device.

Any help appreciated

mmmmm....

wich kind of slave device are you using, that simply cascade the SI bits to the SO pin???

most spi devices (which i have seen) receive some data/command from the SI pin and process it... then it could give an answer on the SO pin... i don't think they send the same info on the output...

unless it uses a higger protocol, that implements this daisy chain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back