Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cascade 2 unconditional stable LNA and then kf less than 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDRookie

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to cascade 2 LNA together to achieve higher gain. Both LNA are unconditional stable (kf>1 and b1f>0), but when I cascade them together, they are unstable (kf<1). Does it mean the cascade of 2 unconditional stable LNA is not 100% unconditional stable?

Stability Factor K is valid only and only Single Stage Amplifiers.Even though you connect 2 identical Unconditional Stable Amplifier in Cascade configuration, it doesn't mean that overall system will absolutely be stable.
For system stability, you should check NDF ( Normalized Determinant Function ) that is available in Keysight ADS and Cadence AWR Design Environment. Using this method is quite complex but it will give you concrete insight.

Stability Factor K is valid only and only Single Stage Amplifiers.Even though you connect 2 identical Unconditional Stable Amplifier in Cascade configuration, it doesn't mean that overall system will absolutely be stable.
For system stability, you should check NDF ( Normalized Determinant Function ) that is available in Keysight ADS and Cadence AWR Design Environment. Using this method is quite complex but it will give you concrete insight.
Thank you for your reply. What I don't understand is unconditional stable means the amplifier will be stable at any load condition. why I cascade another amplifier, which input impedance is R+jX, could cause unstable condition?

Thank you for your reply. What I don't understand is unconditional stable means the amplifier will be stable at any load condition. why I cascade another amplifier, which input impedance is R+jX, could cause unstable condition?
Both Input and Output Impedance may result Instability.Therefore you have to know the interaction between the amplifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back