Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car ignition transient protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdhar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to power a device off my car's ECU +12V rail. When the car is starting, I would imagine that it's very inductive,and these spikes can be potentially harmful to a regulator that I have in line with the power. Either way, I don't want mad voltage fluctuations on the input, so how should I filter these out? I was thinking to either shunt them off with a Zener (which I read can be bad), or maybe use some sort of LC filter??

Hey, my analogue isn't really up to spec, but I've worked on cars. The voltage does indeed fluctuate, but not by that much. I'd use a bloody great inductor in series, and a large cap to ground afterwards. Then into a regulator, I imagine most regusltors are quite resiliant when it comes to peak voltage (30v+) so I'm sure you'll be fine. Although, nothing beats experimentation!! use a comparator set to +15v and +10V as a sort of clipping detector. With the output drive a trasistor with a cap to ground to strech the pulse, then an LED.

Hope this helps.

BuriedCode.

Modern cars are not that bad, but any precaution wouldn;t heart.
You can use ≈1mH dc choke (as per attached picture), 1000µF (or bigger) capacitor, and, because car battery voltage is higher than 12V, you can use low-voltage drop 12V voltage regulator (similar to L4940-12: https://www.st.com/stonline/books/ascii/docs/2141.htm ).
regards,
IanP

Everytime deal with pulse, u can consider filter(choke+capacitor).even ESD in interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back