Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car alternator and voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighTechPower

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. I'm new to car electronics. What I perceive after reading few websites that car alternator converts AC to pulsating DC using diodes. After that a mechanical relay type vibrating switch is used to stabilize DC output within battery voltage range. I can break my question as below,

What is the ac voltage of alternator before rectification.

Why don't we use DC-DC converter after diode rectification as voltage regulator OR why don't we use AC-DC converter, eliminating diode rectification, as voltage regulator.

Modern car alternators are synchronous generators, voltage is controlled by varying the excitation winding current, a very efficient method. Bridge rectifier is an appropriate method for AC/DC conversion. Consider that it can be simply integrated into the alternator. An active transistor rectifier could achieve slightly higher efficiency, but reduced reliability.

The alternator acts as a current source...and the car battery clamps the voltage to 12V or so....if someone runs the car without the battery connected, then you get "automotive load dump" whereby 80V+ can potentially come from the alternator and damage electrical things in the car....because the battery is not there to clamp the voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.