Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor Working Voltage & Rated Voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballimo

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

In many designs I see that Working Voltage are very close to the Rated Voltage for ceramic capacitors, but the Rated Voltage is 2X or 3X the Working voltage for Tantalum capacitor. is this right? second I need to Know what should be the minimum rating voltage for an electrolytic Aluminum capacitor if the working voltage is 3.3V (I am asking this question because I need to use the smallest package size for the Aluminum capacitor because the board size is very small) does a working voltage of 6.3 V work (note that I can not use a ceramic because I want a specific value for the ESR)

Many thanks,
Ballimo

Hi,
It must go good:)...
I know over Work to nominal voltage rating as problem only by ceramics!
K..

Tantalum capacitors are to-high-voltage/reverse voltage sensitive and therefore can be treated as a special case ..

An electrolytic aluminum capacitor rated for 6.3V is perfectly fine for 3.3V circuits ..

Rgds,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back