Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor Timer - time delay as a counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

laxboy130126

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Capacitor Timer

I have a beginners electronics book and I'm trying to build a time delay circuit out of it to use as a counter. However, I've built the circuit somewhere between 15 and 20 times and I still cannot get it to work. I think maybe something is wrong with it, but I've googled every component thoroughly and feel I have a firm grasp of how it should work, yet it does not work. Any help would be much appreciated. Also, if there is any way to add in a variable resistor to change the time before the relay is set off?
Thanks,
Laxboy

(Circuit schematics attached)

Capacitor Timer

Hello,
How much time delay do you need?
What happens when you turn on the circuit?
What voltages do you measure around the circuit?
What type of transistor did you use?
What is the resistance of the relay coil? How much voltage does it need to activate?

Re: Capacitor Timer

An ideal delay would be on the order of 100-300 milliseconds. However for now, I really don't care what the delay is, as long as the circuit works. The I turn it on, nothing happens. I've checked and rechecked the connections, and tested all of the components. I don't have a voltmeter so I have no idea what the voltages are at. From experimentation I found the necessary voltage for the relay to be around 6-7 volts.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.