Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor help me please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slurp

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

in a circuit where i need a 0.1uFarad Capcitor, but I don't have it on hand.
can i replace the 0.1uFarad capacitor with a 0.47uFarad capcitor instead?

Q1) Does it affect the Circuitry???

I am using that 0.1uF in the PIC16F877a circuitry where these capcitors are fixed at the VSS and VDD.

Q2) WHAT ARE THEIR DIFFERENCES? (besides the obvious difference where they have different capacitive values)
for example would it be OK if i replave the 0.1uFarad with a 1.0uFarad???

Many thanks.

cheers,
slurp

Capacitors connected between VDD and VSS are de-coupling capacitors.They are used to remove noise/ripples in the voltage supply. Different capacitor values filters out different frequency ripples. Higher capacitor values used to eliminate lower frequency noise/ripples and vice-versa.

Replacing 0.1uF with 0.47uF capacitor will not harm your circuit, though 0.1uF and 10uF capacitors are used between VDD and VSS in a standard application

You can replace 0.1uF with 0.47uF in your circuit

Last edited:

can i replace the 0.1uFarad capacitor with a 0.47uFarad capcitor instead?
In case of power supply bypass caps, yes. Higher capacitance values may possibly show unwanted resonances, but the capacitor type and it's placement will be more important than the exact value.

The capacitor value 0.1uf is use for filteration,if you realy want it then you can connect three of them is series that gives you 0.15uf .

the 0.1 uf Capacitors are usually ceramic capacitor's and 0.47 uf are usually electrolytic...
replacing them will not harm your circuit but there is noise present in your circuit then your circuit may behave incorrect E.g unwanted resets or hanging etc....

The capacitor value 0.1uf is use for filteration,if you realy want it then you can connect three of them is series that gives you 0.15uf .

I don't think it would be a good idea, you want to place the cap as close as possible to the supply pins of the mcu with small length leads to have the best decoupling.
If you use three capacitors in series then you use longer leads and probably additional pcb pad length, this will make the decoupling worse than using he higher value cap directly.

Alex

Basically 0.1uF capacitor should of Ceramic type which is used as bypass capacitor. If the 0.47uF is also of ceramic type, it should not be of any problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back