Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitive Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

me_guitarist

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
capacitive power supply

Hi guys,

I used this capacitive power supply to run some LED from 240VAC.

R1=2W10R Metal Oxide Resistor
C1=1.5uf 450VAC(x2 Type)
C2=220uf 35V
D1=24V
D2=1N4007

The output around 35VDC. Everything running smoothly. But when I switched off the main 240VAC, there is still around 250VDC inside C1 & I get electric short. How do I discharge C1?

Pls help. Thanks in advance.[/img]

capacitive supply

Apart from the problem of of providing a safe protection against accidental contact for your circuit, I think you shouldn't operate it open circuit (at 35 V output), cause this overloads D1. As another remark you could double the output current efficiency by using a full wave rectifier.

Finally C1 can be discharged by a high ohmic resistor, e. g. 1 MOhm.

Reactions: jayp

jayp

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
working of capacitive power supply

Hi FvM,

Thanks for yr input.

U mean put a 1/4W 1M resistor parallel to C1?

capacitive power supply design

me_guitarist said:
Hi FvM,

Thanks for yr input.

1/4w 400k~800k resistor parallel to C1;
or
1/2w 200k~400k resistor parallel to C1;

capacitive power

yanzixuan said:
me_guitarist said:
Hi FvM,

Thanks for yr input.

1/4w 400k~800k resistor parallel to C1;
or
1/2w 200k~400k resistor parallel to C1;

I tried 1/4W 1M is ok.
Thanks yanzixuan & FvM.

400k resistor

FvM said:
Apart from the problem of of providing a safe protection against accidental contact for your circuit, I think you shouldn't operate it open circuit (at 35 V output), cause this overloads D1. As another remark you could double the output current efficiency by using a full wave rectifier.

Why is that D1 overload? As it should output 24VDC right?

This circuit is proper isolated.

capacitive power supplies

With no load connected, D1 is dissipating about 1.2W, if not using a power Z-diode, this means thermal overload.

full wave capacitive power supply

me_guitarist said:
FvM said:

Why is that D1 overload? As it should output 24VDC right?

Rc=1/(2*pi*f*c)=1/(2*3.14*50*3*10^-6)~~1.06k;

R1=10.

Iin~~240/(Rc+R1)=220ma;

With no load connected,

Pd1=((Iin*VD*T/2)+(Iin*Vth*T/2))/T=Iin*(Vd+Vth)/2=0.22*(24+0.7)/2=2.717w

capacative power supply

me_guitarist said:

Definitely not,there is no isolation!

These regulators are meant to be in an enclosure with no possible way a user can come into contact with it. As long as this is the case they have there uses .

capactive power supply

max0412 said:
me_guitarist said:

Definitely not,there is no isolation!

These regulators are meant to be in an enclosure with no possible way a user can come into contact with it. As long as this is the case they have there uses .[/quote

The circuit was inside an enclosure. Its away from user touching.

I ran this circuit for a week & its ok until now.

calculation of capacitive power supply

Isn't correct. You apparently understood x2-type as two caps in parallel. But X2 is a type specification of AC filter caps. So C is 1.5uF and the current is only half. Also the Z-diode voltage drop has to be considered in current calculation, so I think, an estimation of 1.2 W(@230 V) is rather exact.

rc=1/2*pi*f

FvM said:
Isn't correct. You apparently understood x2-type as two caps in parallel. But X2 is a type specification of AC filter caps. So C is 1.5uF and the current is only half. Also the Z-diode voltage drop has to be considered in current calculation, so I think, an estimation of 1.2 W(@230 V) is rather exact.

If I put 2W for ZD1 will it sufficient?

full-wave rectifier current calculation

Yes, also the high Z-diode power dissipation is only occurring in no load case. It has to be considered only, of the load can be disconnected somehow.

capasitive psu

FvM said:
Yes, also the high Z-diode power dissipation is only occurring in no load case. It has to be considered only, of the load can be disconnected somehow.

Can I put C1 before R1? To suit my application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back