Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitance to voltage circuit for ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

garg29

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
capacitance to voltage converter

Hi friends,

I'm having a sensor which is having a capacitive output. Which varies from 0.085 nF to 0.700 nF. I need to change this capacitive range into 0-5 Volts range can anyone please tell me how can i do it.

Thanks a lot,
With best regards,
Amit

capacitive sensor lm555

i will tell you some idea from me that you can, you can use this change in capcitor to change pwm with 555 chip (it depend on r &c)
if the change in capcitor small you can make capcitor amp with op-amp

thanks for replying can u provide me the capacitor amplifying circuit

Read LM555 datasheet, you will see the astable or mono stable circuit. Replace the Capacitor by your sensor. The output frequency varies and depends on your sensor . It is simple but not very accurate. You should use the R, C 0.1% error

555 solution is not so precise.

Go to www.qprox.com - they sell capacitive sensors. They have some chips that just output the measured capacitance.

Because they use charge transfer technology the sensitivity is tremendous - you can detect approaching of human from 30-40 cm !!! (if you use big electrodes).

Other solution is to use Analog Device capacitance to voltage converter - it's high accuracy (and high price as well), I'm sorry, I forgot the part number.

best regards
luben

have a look at AD7745/AD7746 (Analog Device) which is use to measure capacitive sensor, high accurate

you cn use switch capacitor circuit for cap to voltage change.

Thanks everyone for replying. Hi, Avinash, what's a "switch capacitor circuit".

Thanks a lot,
With best regards,
Amit

in a cap. i=c dv/dt or v =1/c∫i dt for i=constat I.
1)v=1/c I*t.
2)c=I*t/v
if u inject a costant current for a predefine time to a cop. you have a ramp voltage in cap pins. u can read this that proper to your cap. als you can use an diffrenator
to have proper voltge

V2=dv/dt V2=1/c I

|I
|
|_______________t

|V .
| . . slop=I/c
| . .
|___.___________t

|v2
|
|__________