Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitance impukse tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundararaju

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Capacitance impulse tester

hi,
To charge a capacitor up to 6000 volt and discharge it. Two switching device I need .It may be thyristor or IGBT .The charging time is 15 sec and the source is DC volt.This procedure is known as impulse testing..
:thinker:

Last edited:

The charge switche can be probably saved by enabling and disabling the DC/DC converter.

Is the capacitance actually mF or is it µF?

capacitance is 20µF and charging time is 2µs and discharging time is 50µs .

charging time is 2µs and discharging time is 50µs
At least the 60 kA charging will be hard to achieve with a semiconductor switch. What's the purpose of fast charging? Which energy source is delivering the 360 MW?

As the C19/R3 circuit will take 6000/2 = 2KA, that one big switch!. As the recycle time is 15 seconds, I would leave the charging resistor in circuit. Or if its power dissipation is a factor, power the 6KV PSU from a current regulated AC source. To get the 2µS rise time the switch/capacitor/R3 must be wired up to minimise series inductance, in fact I wonder if your capacitor by itself will be "fast" enough.
I would build the HV switch around the guts of a car starter solenoid, re-engineered to provide the HV insulation.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.