Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can't save schematics in Protel 99!

Status
Not open for further replies.

semiconductor

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've just designed a schematics in protel 99.
When I clicked the SAVE button, a error occured, it was informed as below:
[MicroSoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]String data, right truncated (null)

How can I solve this problem, I can not save what I have done!!!

upgrading pcb library for design 99se

This error occurs because your Windows version has an out-of-date Microsoft Data Access (MDAC) file.

Look at the following for a fix: **broken link removed**

altium designer backwards compatible protel

First of all, Thank you for your response.

I'm using Windows XP SP2 and Protel 99, version 5.x
When I read the link you proposed. It recommends that I should use MDAC 2.1.1.3711.11 but when I checked the version of my current MDAC, it's 2.81.xxxx

When I search for MDAC 2.1.1.3711.11, they all advise me not to downgrade the version of MDAC. It would cause a conflict.

Is it possible for me to downgrade MDAC from 2.81.xx to 2.1.1.xxxx ???
And I found that when I tried to install MDAC 2.1.1, Microsoft announced that it could not be installed on Win XP.

I use Protel 99 I maybe it can not be used on the platform Win XP ??? Is this right?

protel 99se service pack 6

Upgrade your Protel99SE to service pack 6 (Version 6.6.7) and it will work fine under Windows XP.

Trying to install an older version of MDAC would cause problems with Windows XP, and is unnecessary. Service pack 6 for 99SE is available for download at:
https://www.altium.com/Community/Support/Downloads/Legacy/

protel99 wont install on xp

Thank you for your helpful hints.
But unfortunately, I'm using Protel 99, not Protel 99SE. Ang I have not been experienced Protel yet I've just get used to Protel because, I have been using OrCAD for 3 years.

I found that in the link's houseware that you propsed, there're some service pack and additional packages for Protel. I have downloaded all and installed, restart my computer but All still remains the same.

The ODBC error occurred.

Is there possible to upgraded my Protel 99 to Protel 99SE and using Service Pack 6 as you recommend me?

Once again, you are so nice to answer my question, thanks!

learning protel dxp

Protel 99 had so many problems that Protel gave 99SE to all registered legal users free. There was no charge for the upgrade.

I'm afraid you are not going to be able to use 99 on WinXP. In fact, I would not advise using it at all - it was a very 'buggy' version. That is why the company gave free upgrades to all registered users. 99SE with service pack 6 was very stable, and runs perfectly on Win95, Win98, Win98SE, and WinXP.

orcad cis odbcproblem

Hi House_Cat,

Yeah, I've just upgraded my Protel 99 to Protel 99 SE.
It's really amazing, and now I can draw my own schematics using Protel 99 SE.

I've just found a project whose *.pcb and *.sch are freely delivered in protel format. But It's a pity that it's in DXP format.

I tried to read it using Protel 99 SE but unsucessfully. How can I use Protel 99 SE to read DXP format? or is there any tool to convert backwardly from DXP to 99 SE?

(I haven't known anything about DXP because I want to start learning Protel from 99 SE version, according to my friend's advice)

Nice to talk with you!

tl494 library altium

No, just like any other software - newer formats cannot be read by older software. DXP allows more layers, more design rules, more features, has different functions - that is why the files aren't backward compatible.

The only tool that allows DXP files to be converted to 99SE format is DXP itself. DXP allows you to save files in older formats - with the understanding that you will lose newer features and layers in the layout when you convert to the older formats which do not support them.

99SE is good design software, and will work well for your projects. If all you are going to do are simple two layer or four layer boards, then Protel 98 or 99SE ARE the right versions to use. AD2004 (DXP) is professional grade software, and will allow you to do many more things with design and layout. There are some drawbacks to using AD2004 for simple hobby projects. Because AD2004 is loaded with new capabilities, it takes longer to learn, and it demands more of your computer and video card.

If you plan to advance to AD2004 (DXP) eventually, whoever told you to start learning Protel with 99SE was giving you bad advice. DXP uses an entirely different file structure, different operating environment, different rule logic - aside from a few hotkeys that are the same, you'll have to learn to do things all over again when you start using DXP. You would have been better off to start with the better software, and that is AD2004 with service pack 4 (the most current version of DXP).

protel 98 service packs

Well, I've been using OrCAD for nearly 3 years. But my new job requires my Protel Skill. When I was at university, I rarely used Protel.

When I asked my friend, he told me that, you'd should use Protel 99 SE. And I think it was a good advice because, he had been using OrCAD, Eagle and, He stopped with Protel 99 SE.

As you wrote, I'm wondering whether I should directly start with AD2004 or keep on with Protel 99 SE. (I'm not sure but in my office, they use both, and who works with DXP has higher salary:D )

Poor me :cry:

But now, It's fact that I'm working with Protel 99 SE because of my task's requirement. I have time to decide

Thank you for your response. It also means that, I have to redraw it in Protel 99 SE :cry:

Anyway, thank you for all :D

P*otel question

I advise you to step to DXP.

Using DXP, you can design your own board with FPGA. It's really interesting with 3D view. Many new features are included as House_Cat said!

Re: Protel question

Many new features are included as House_Cat said!
As well as new bugs! UPGRADE - Old bugs out, new ones in!

It's would be a trivial question to Protel expert but I have spent much time searching without any result :cry:

in which library of Protel SE I can find schematics of TL494?

Thank you beforehand!

Protel99SE is an old program. The libraries stopped being updated when DXP was released in 2001. TL494 is a new chip. There are no Protel99SE schematic library components for chips released after 2001.

You can make your own schematic library parts with very little effort from the part data sheet - TL494 is only a 16 pin chip.

The PCB footprints for the various versions of TL494 are standard JEDEC footprints. You should be able to locate the generic footprint in the appropriate PCB library depending on which IC package you plan to use.

It will only take a couple of minutes to make your own schem part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back