Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cannot install windows xp as dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirenn

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have windows 8.1(licence copy) in my laptop

i want to install XP with my windows 8.1 as dual boot

i have also make seprate partition, bios settings and used bootable cd/usb stick but can't install

how can i do???? any suggestions please...

THANKS

Win8.1 and Win7 do not support installing older OS, due to the compromise in security with the boot loader in XP.

You can make a Flash drive bootable OS with RUFUS (free) and read about what to do next with something like EASYBCD for creating a dualboot or using the Win8.1 startup menu to edit the bootloader in advanced options to boot from another OS. The problem with any new OS install is it over-writes the bootloader of the previous install, so one must be careful and it has been a few years since I did this.

If you find your win8.1 too slow, there are many, many things to take out , to make it faster but takes a few hrs.
Also you would be going from a x64 to a x32 OS. and avail RAM will be reduced to 3~3.5GB offset by the GPU RAM size.

Reactions: hirenn

hirenn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi thanks for yur reply
I can install windows 7 32 bit with 8.1 in my laptop...
Is any serious cause if I install xp as dual boot?
Is it safe for my laptop to do like this?

SunnySkyguy already mentioned why you can't dual boot XP with the newer OSs.

I suggest you use the built in feature for creating a VM or download Virtualbox and run the XP machine as a virtual machine instead. Then you won't run the risk of having bootloaders getting overwritten or security issues.

Reactions: hirenn

hirenn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.