Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can you suggest a circuit component that can genenrate 12v and -12v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njxia

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need both 12v and -12v in my system. Could any one suggest one circuit component (i.e.. DC-DC converter) that I can use to generate these two voltages? Thanks for your help in advance.

The part depends greatly on several factors that we are missing.
1. How much current will be pulled from the +12 and -12V (each, and in total)
2. How much regulation do you require? (wide current range, fast turn-on/turn-off transient loads, etc)

TI, Linear and Analog Devices are places that I'd start with for COTS buck/boost converters. You can find some single-pacakge TO- sized devices that might work.

And do you need isolated outputs from the input voltage?

The current is not very strict, it is roughly 300 mA. The 12v and -12v will be used for a differential OpAmp, so the switching speed is not an issue, I guess.
Could you suggest one device for reference? I could not find one from TI, Linear and Analog Devices.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 05:48 ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 ----------

And do you need isolated outputs from the input voltage?

No. They are not isolated.

I was thinking charge-pump regulators, but for that much current, you'd better go for a switcher. NI makes a line called SWITCHERS MADE SIMPLE. I'd take a look at the LM2585. See page 14, Figure 10 as a jumping off point.

**broken link removed**

Reactions: njxia

njxia

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I was thinking charge-pump regulators, but for that much current, you'd better go for a switcher. NI makes a line called SWITCHERS MADE SIMPLE. I'd take a look at the LM2585. See page 14, Figure 10 as a jumping off point.

**broken link removed**

Thank you. I will give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back