Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you reuse (erase and reprogram) old EPROMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sputnik

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have salvaged a few EPROMs from old equipment. Would it be possible to erase them and reuse them.

Thanks
Sputnik :idea:

Re: Reusing old EPROMs

hi

first you must mention which types of eeprom you have 1k ,2k, 4k, 8k 16k, 32k. 128k, you can make light sequencer lot more by using them

Sputnik said:
I have salvaged a few EPROMs from old equipment. Would it be possible to erase them and reuse them.

Thanks

Here is a list of possible applications of EPROM:
- decoder for 7-segments indicator
- simple fast LUT-based ALU
- sequencer (like light sequencer from Fragrance' post)
- stepper motor controller
- storing of analog signals (for example, digitized sine-wave or speech in PWM or parallel form)
- frequency divider (by feedback from data output lines to address inputs)
- counter with any predefined sequence
- a lot of others - just turn your mind!

Hi
you must know about the type of the eprom you wanna to erase
some EPROMS are paralell while others are serial
some are electraically erasble while others are UV erasble
So, feed back us with the type of the EPRM you are targetting to be able to help you

Reusing old EPROMs

These chips have little windows, that were covered by a silver sticker, and the die is visible. I don't know anything about them, I need datasheets. I found them in tills, 486 expansion cards, plotters etc.

The numbers on them are:

Chip 1
M5L2764K
84500L

Chip 2
MBM27128-30
8509 R66

Anyone with datasheets and how to reprogram them would be fantastic.

Sputnik said:
These chips have little windows, that were covered by a silver sticker, and the die is visible. I don't know anything about them, I need datasheets. I found them in tills, 486 expansion cards, plotters etc.

The numbers on them are:

Chip 1
M5L2764K
84500L

Chip 2
MBM27128-30
8509 R66

Anyone with datasheets and how to reprogram them would be fantastic.

so you have 8k and 32k eprom if you wnat to make simple programmer for eprom it is good idea to use them in 7 segment decoder from Ace-X he give lot of possibliteis to use them 8k and 32k is very big memory size in eprom. for nice programmer just try out batronix prog studio

https://www.batronix.com/electronic/index.shtml

Reusing old EPROMs

Both are standard 5V EPROM memory (27xx series). First is from Mitsubishi (8Kx8), second - Fujitsu (16Kx8). Both supported by any parallel EPROM programmer.

Those are pretty small EPROMs, but still useful.

Go to a hobby electronics store for an inexpensive EPROM programmer that connects to your computer. Or, if you enjoy challenges, you can design one yourself.

You will also need an EPROM eraser. It is a short-wave ultraviolet lamp. Erasing takes about 30 minutes, more or less depending on lamp intensity. Be sure the EPROM quartz window is clean.

It's hard to find downloadable data sheets for old parts like that.

Reusing old EPROMs

Over the past... day, I've been going through 486 motherboards and collecting the BIOSs' (of which most of them were UV erasable EPROMs) and now I have a grand to total of:

1x 64K
1x 128K
2x 256K
6x 512K (Most common as 486 BIOS)
2x 1024K

that's 12 EPROMs in total.

I hope to post a picture or two, I just need to borrow a friends digital camera.

Reusing old EPROMs

Any suggestion of the UV EPROM eraser? can get a cheaper one?

Reusing old EPROMs

You could get a standard 8" flourecent fitting and and replace tube with ultra violet (must be right wavelength), then build a small box around it lined with antistatic foam to hold the eproms. Probably not worth it for so few devices though.

Status
Not open for further replies.