Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you load unix on windows machine without unix server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vijaytanjore

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
unix on windows machine

Hello friend

i have one doubt
whether it is possible to load unix in windows environment
without unix server

whether we have any utilitiy to work unix in windows environment

vijay

unix on windows machine

Check out coLinux. I use it to run Debian Linux in a window under Win2k. X apps work (although slowly) via VNC.
http://www.colinux.org/

Re: unix on windows machine

try to search 'vmware', 'virtual machine' in the google-search or something else

unix on windows machine

use a vitual PC software can run in windows.

unix on windows machine

You can use exceed or x-win

Use Vmware you can install unix in virtual environment.

You COULD USE CYGWIN or UWIN from ATT and is exactly THAT UNIX FOR WINDOWS ,it can be downloaded here:
**broken link removed**

unix on windows machine

virtualPC only for windows OS on X86 ..

vmware is better tool , I ever use winXP + vmware (RH8)

and I find hspice in vmware Linux about 70% speed
than host win32 hspice

unix on windows machine

I want to know one thing. Using a virtual machine we can run an operating system. but how does one install some software on it or save the file made in an emulated environment ? people who have worked on emulated environments kindly share your experiences on these.

thanks

EcraZ said:
I want to know one thing. Using a virtual machine we can run an operating system. but how does one install some software on it or save the file made in an emulated environment ? people who have worked on emulated environments kindly share your experiences on these.

thanks

build up a ftp server in windows, u can transfer files from virtual machine to ur server, u should set different IP for ur virtual machine ofcouse.

EcraZ said:
coLinux+Debian has full network access, so http, ftp, etc all work, including the Debian package download/install mechanism.

Also, I "mounted" one of my Windows shared folders into /mnt. Now both OS's have easy access to a common directory.

VM is fine fir install solaris on pc under windows.

Hello,

I think it is not a good idea to run Unix on Windows. You know that Windows is not stable. And UNix, however, is a more stable platform. Running Unix on Windows will lost the biggest benefit of Unix.

treebear

You could install Unix application in the VM environmen. The file you generate in the VM is not accessble to the Windows directly. I am not sure whether it is possible to acees the file through the samba. However, you could put the file into a network driver and let Windwos to access the network driver.

hi
if u don't already know you can have both systems installed on ur PC, with the help of a bootloader, an attitude i recommend for you...

however you could use CYGWIN from redhat, which emulates fast enough, well the fastest windows permits, but it sacrifices some features, generally you should't use in apps related to security

there's aslo line it's still new, and VMware which emulates the whole PC it functions fairly well but consumes resources of course, and there are MINGW and MSYS of gnu but little tedious to install, and many of which parts are included in CYGWIN
www.cygwin.com
www.mingw.org
**broken link removed**
www.vmware.com

unix on windows machine

Hi
if you want to use Unix like Os on your PC, and to use windows os at the same time then you can either install a "virtual machine" on windows as the guys suggested (like vmware or virtual PC), or you can "dual boot" both windows and linux (or Unix).

Some Linux distributions had a bootable ability, I mean that you can startup ur PC with them without installing the OS (like knoppix and damn small linux ), you need just to put the cd on ur drive and restart your machine to get your PC working using Linux os.

Also what is better is to install the both OSs (windows and Linux) in your PC, its very simple to do this, just go and do some search on google to get the full details about this issue

unix on windows machine

virtue pc need more memory.I think run it separately.

unix on windows machine

My system has 1GB memory. Do you think it's enough to run MS Virtual PC?

Thanks.

Due to Windows defaults, CoLinux can only be full networked (or networked at all) if ethernet is active on Windows (ie, connected). If not, you can not see even your own Windows from Linux, nor Linux from Windows.</p>

CoLinux has has a practical limit of 82Mb RAM, due to Windows faults. Apart that, it is an excellent product to run servers like Apache (RAM is an obstacle here if you load it too much).</p>

Quack</p>

Added after 2 minutes:

A word of warning about Virtual PC. Beware! It is a Micro**soft product. Isn't M*S fighting Linux? So why in the world should it allow Linux to run on their OS with their virtual machine, if not to show, by failing, well, that Linux is unstable, etc?

quack

Status
Not open for further replies.