Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you help me design this

Status
Not open for further replies.

INS-ANI

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
REAL TIME RESOURCE MANAGEMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION AS A CASE IN OPEN CAST MINING

THE IDEA:
Well thats the idea. the objective is to design a system, which can track,locate and display real time objects in a specified area.The real implementation of system may be for an area of say 5 KM square. But the objective is to implement the same for a 1 meter square area.

WHY NEEDED:
In an opencast mining project, various machinery,trucks,and human workforce are considered as resources.
For the control, the communication is established by various unit via wireless links. However it is not possible to centralize all the resource information on a real time basis.
Such system will increase the efficiency of resource management by providing real time position and production details, which is very crucial in mining industry.

The options:
I aim to design a system which can track the resource element on realtime basis and display the same graphically at the control. Also it should have a two way communication from the resource.
there can be many options which can be explored, however the immediate aim is to resolve the position of an object and display it on realtime basis.

Guys, i request for your help in this project. I need inputs for various stages of the system.
but first, lets start with the technique to resolve position of an object.
Please take note of the image attached. A two tower system can be used to resolve the exact position of the object. but as i am a third year student, i am not aware of how to do it. If it requires something which i don't know as of yet, i am ready to learn.
so, please share your ideas for resolving the position of an object.

well first off you need three towers to define where the object is. (two points define a line, three define a plane the earth is a plan, you would need 4 for elevation.)

Why don't you just use GPS?

This is a very in depth project.

Using GPS will rob me off all the pleasure of doing a project.
Well, if you think its a project with some depth, then i guess i have almost 18 months to complete it. i plan to do it in 3 stages.
Can you suggest me some study material to start with understanding the process of defining the object position.

Added after 3 minutes:

For now i will stick with the three pole system for a 2-D mapping.

INS-ANI said:
Using GPS will rob me off all the pleasure of doing a project.
Well, if you think its a project with some depth, then i guess i have almost 18 months to complete it. i plan to do it in 3 stages.
Can you suggest me some study material to start with understanding the process of defining the object position.

Added after 3 minutes:

For now i will stick with the three pole system for a 2-D mapping.

While your project appears interesting, perhaps you are making assumption that the object is in the straight path of the towers, and that there are no obstructions. In reality it is more complex.

Some time back i was pondering on this concept to exactly locate a robbed mobile or a unwanted person using a mobile, by analysing the signal strength received at 3 towers while only one serves the mobile.But for the purpose of switching over a moving mobile, the signal strength is perhaps used. Later I realized that while it is possible, it is complex because the signal can take a longer path with reflections etc as the mobile need not be in LOS to the tower.

You need to keep this also in mind. All the best, and a tough project !!!

Sarma

Google for how a marine lighthouse works and also a loran system. Two towers will provide a position. I see the greater problem being how you transmit/receive info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back