Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you guys help me find this component?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritonline

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm struggling for the correct term of the square silver square with the yellow border.
It would be awesome if you guys could help me out so I can order the component.

photo_2016-02-23_08-19-10.jpg

I've found force sensitive resistors but these seem like a more complex version of what I have here.
It responds to the slightest touch and there would be no need to figure out the actual weight.
There's a ton to be found on arduino projects that simply uses some aluminium foil.
https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/CapacitiveSensor?from=Main.CapSense

but for the life of me I can't figure out the name of the component so I can order a couple.

Hope you guys can help me out.
Cheers,
Jason.

Hi,

maybe it is just a metal foil on plastics.
Used as a capacitive sensor.

As soon as you touch the sensor (even on the plastics) you will change it´s capacitance.

It recognizes the change in capacitance and triggers an event.

Klaus

He Klaus,

You are right, it's exactly that. What I just can't seem to find is a place to buy them.
I'm looking for a capacitive foil with flexible leads but so far I can't seem to buy them anywhere.
(or even the right name to show actual photo's, not illustrations on google).

NXP has a dev board that has the plates included but I'd like just the sensing plates.
Would you know any place to buy them?
https://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail...11055598/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuos25lhNoLap0zoOcoVz0D

The "sensor plates" are just a PCB structure which will be designed into your actual application board. NXP and other vendors have application notes describing how to. For a demonstration or test, you can cut it from a strip or copper cladded board. The interesting component is the capacitive sensor IC.

He FvM,

Thanks for your input. For the application we have in mind the sensor plate has to be external like in the photo. Designing it onto the PCB would'd be a very good option. I can't imagine the producers of the module in the photo made the sensor plate themselves. I'd really like to buy an external conductive film with 2 connector leads. Any ideas on where I might be able to purchase those?

Cheers,
Jason.

I can't imagine the producers of the module in the photo made the sensor plate themselves.
I presume they did. The photo seems to show a FR4 PCB without solder resist (thus it's yellow), a typical prototype or home-made finish.

I won't expect any ready made capacitive "sensor plates".

Status
Not open for further replies.