Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you build an on-chip LDO ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayateertha.r

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am designing a LDO which has load onchip.

Although I have a big off chip capacitor(4.7uF), the bond pad inductance coming in series is affecting the load regulation transient. I am getting big spikes.

How to get rid of this problem? This must be a common problem as many chips will have a onchip LDO for a onchip load.

Is it possible to eleminate the offchip cap and build a LDO totally onchip?

thanks in advance.

regards,
jay.

onchip ldo

yes , of course, TI has a LDO without offchip CAP , the datasheet NO. is TPS73101,which is a capless LDO

on-chip ldo

rfzheng

Thanks for the reply. I went thru the TPS part no. It uses a nmos pass element in LINEAR.

I was just thinking, if there is an even simpler solution with PMOS pass element with some sort of compensation technique with small onchip (300pF) cap.

regards,
jay.

replica bias using nmos driver

better to go for replica based architecture for bigger cap loads to avoid stability problems but it needs a bigger driver

site:edaboard.com capless ldo

Replica bias using NMOS driver has no stability problems but the dropout voltage will be more than a Vt if you are not using a cargepump to boost the regulator OTA supply voltage.

Regards,
Jitendra Dhasmana.

data sheet ldo load capless

jayateertha.r

Did u resolve the problem having bonding inductance? I am having the same issue as well, but it looks like we can't solve it.
However, the reality is I didn't see that spike in real silicon and I am still scratching head now

capless ldo

It's easy to fix. Use Kelvin Connect

Onchip LDO

may you explain detailly about "Kelvin Connect ", thanks!

Re: Onchip LDO

How big is your series inductance ? Maybe 3 nH ? How heavy is your load ? You can reduce your overall inductance making thinner pads in parallel to the pin and/or with the multihole pad technique explained in detail in "Tha art of analog layout" from Alan Hastings. Can you upload your floorplan ? I might help you making a better one.

If you wanna make a capless LDO, you can make it using both the Active Miller capacitor multiplier techique developed by Rincon-Mora and the Compensation technique from Milliken. These techniques would lead you to an onchip cap of 100 pF or less.

PAZ PARA COLOMBIA !

Status
Not open for further replies.