Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can weimplement wireless I2C and SPI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can we implement wireless I2C and SPI communication?

nRF24L01 is a SPI device and sends data wirelessly but can I2C request of one micro be sent to another micro wirelessly? I think multi channel transmitter and receivers are needed for different lines of I2C and SPI bus.

Can we do like this. To make wireless I2C we need two channels, one for SCL and another for SDA. The wireless transreceivers will have 2 channels, one say 2.2 GHz and another 2.4 GHz. If master device is micro and slave is a I2C device like MAX7219 or any hypothetical I2C sensor, then I2C SCL and SDA line status is transmitted wirelessly and received at the sensor side. This way sensor circuit becomes wireless and there is no need for a micro at the sensor side. Master will be reading and writinf to slave device wirelessly.

If we need to keep the SDA line low or high at the slave then can we use a clocked flip flop where clk from wireless transreceiver is given both to flip flop and also slave's SCL. The flip flop's o/p can hold the state of SDA line of slave if needed during communication. SDA line data from transreceiver is given to flip-flop input.

Last edited:

Hi Jayant,

As I know i2c is inter board protocol and goal is to send information ..... In case you want to transfer information over wireless my thought here is go for wireless method it self like zig bee or GPRS or wireless network protocols .....as in case of i2c requires the need of clock stretching and acknowledgement methods to be implemented....also address resolution methods too in case of multidrop slave cases.... In the approach that you said you need two 2.4Ghz transmitters receiver where I think information can be send using one..... If bandwidth is your concern then go for network based method....

Good luck

I know that digital pulses can be wirelessly transmitted. If I want to send data of sensors like below wirelessly

**broken link removed**

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tmp100-ep.pdf

**broken link removed**

then I need a uC at transmitter (sensor) and another uC at receiver if UART & RF modules are is used to send the data of sensors. If 2 channel RF transreceivers are used (say) with 2 different frequencies like 2.2 GHz for SCL line and 2.4 GHz for SDA line then the sensor can be directly interfaced to dual RF transreceiver and the uC at the transmitter (sensor) side can be eliminated. It will be just the sensor + 2 ch RF transreceiver at the transmitter side. I know during I2C communication sometimes SDA line has to be held low. We can do that at the trasmitter (sensor/slave) side with some additional digital circuit which can hold the previous state of SDA line unless it changes.

Let us assume that in some environment uC (sensor side) will not work as expected but if uC is totally eliminated and wireless I2C/SCL communication is done with the slave then I think it will be better.

Attachments

• wireless I2C.png
    wireless I2C.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.