Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can we use the low frequency capacitors and resistors for up to 3 GHz RF frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7rots51

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can we use the capacitors(smd) and resistors(smd 0805,smaller) that we use in low frequency (under 100mhz)circuits for up to 3GHZ rf frequency?
If no,what types is suitable?

RF res,cap?

As far as I know, if the working frequency is under the series resonant frequency of the component, then there is no problem. Unfortunately, not all the manufacturers offers informations about SRF. For example, take a look at Kemet spice, , this manufacturer offers nice graphs with impedance vs freq. for their caps. I use regular 0603 and 0402 at 2,5GHz with no problems.

/pisoiu

RF res,cap?

in the @DS component library none of the capacitors have SRF more than 6-7 GHz. How to design a capcitor which has SRF more than 10 GHz or what can be alternate to this?

thanks
/k

RF res,cap?

The highest SRF I've seen at the components I use is 10GHz, for a 0402 type inductor. Beyond this....microstrip? :)

/pisoiu

Re: RF res,cap?

Can you make your own capacitors? One type is thin filaments in an interdigital structure. I have also seen parallel plates, air dielectric, types soldered perpendicular to the PC foil. This is really a short open circuited transmission lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back