Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can we use chipscope as a replaement for logic analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3034585

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys
i have a pci core and some logic implement in my fpga. there is some kind of memory overwritting problem so i want to debug it. some garbage value is being written at a particular address. i dont know from where it is comming. when i test it in simulation it dosnt show any garbage value being written. it gives exact result as per the logic. so i am trying to debug this problem.
I dont have a logic analyzer. so can i use chipscope for it. If so how can i use it. Please let me know.

Thanks
tama

yes !
you can use ChipScope For your design , but Chipscope need block memory in xilinx FPGA for store data , you can set trigger in FPGA with chipscope

try this link
**broken link removed**

chipscope is the software from Xilinx and you need to have logic analyzers to connect. you cannot Chipscope alone for your purpose

ikru26,

I don't think your comments is correct.

Chipscope is sort like a logic analyzer. The most inconvenient part is that you will have to re-compile your design, and sometimes it breaks the timing. Other than that, chipscope behaves just like a logic analyzer. You don't actually need a logic analyer to see the result of the chipscope. It displays the waveform in your PC.

ikru26 said:
chipscope is the software from Xilinx and you need to have logic analyzers to connect. you cannot Chipscope alone for your purpose

In my opinion, this is incorrect.

Chipscope can capture the internal signals or the port on FPGA by JTAG interface, but which will spend more block memory in FPGA, because the memory will be used store the captured signals. If you have enough space in FPGA and only capture the signals on FPGA, you can use it as a logic analyzer, you set trigger condition and the memory deep.
At the same time, altera signaltab have the same function.

But i think the trigger conditions are limited in chipscope. as well the capture clock shall be internal fpga clock. so sometime the measurements are not correct and accurate compared to logic analyer.

Also BRAM is another limiting factor.

Yes, the capture clock is also a problem, but I think you can get a high-speed clock from the PLL in FPGA, for example, if your system work at 50MHz, you can use a 100MHz or more higher clock from PLL use as the capture clock.

heloo
do u hav pci code in verilo/vhdl..
can u mail it to me on swappy.best@gmail.com,.
or anything thing which you hav related to pci bridge....
its an my acadamic project

I am having a problem with chipscope.I am unable to see some signals(which i need to analyse ) even though whole program is synthesied. (like when i go for modify connects part,i am unable to find some signals in that box where we have to slect for triggering purpose.).Can anyone tell me why..and how can i resolve this problem.

Just change the Keep hierarchy option in the XST properties to yes or soft and you'll see your signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back