Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can the work in the same time for one combo antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linn

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can the phone work in the same time for one combo antenna?

Hi,

i have one queries, Can the combo antenna work in the same time for one combo antenna phone? Such as one BT and GPS or one GPS and FM. If you can share some information about these will be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Dear Linn:
I would like to help you but I know no technical specifications of your "combo" antenna, nor your various phones. If you can tell me the frequencies, connectors, etc., I can give you a technical answer.
Antennas are designed usually to operate in one specific system and are optimized for it. One can certainly use "a piece of wire" antenna for anything but the operation will not be optimal. For instance, a good FM receiver can receive a local FM station often even without any antenna but often the music will be corrupted by noise, multipath and interference.

Hi J:
Thanks for your excellent answer!
Maybe for different phone has different functions i agree. i met one strange thing that when i used my phone to open the GPS to check my position in Beijing of China (it has one internal flexfilm combo antenna with BT) several days ago, and the BT was open still for my buletooth earphone, the software informed me can not access, but when i closed the BT function, GPS can work normally.
so my query is that if the GPS and BT work in the same time, it will lie on software or hardware or both?

p.s. GPS work on 1.55GHz, BT work on 2.44GHz.

Dear Linn:
Now I can better understand what you mean. As your cell phone can operate under two different systems, its "combo" antenna was certainly designed to function at both frequency bands.
A cell phone, however, operates in a network of base stations. The hardware is so designed that it can function if your cell phone is near one or more base stations, the software is controlling the flow of data and information transmission.
The complete system requires many conditions to be met to function properly. If one of such conditions is not met, the software will not allow the system to function. For instance, the signal power level is important, but if the signal can propagate by "multipath", via two or more separate ways, at one of the receivers the data stream can be distorted and you will be declined from communicating. When you walk or travel, the system is smart enough to enable you to communicate, but interruptions happen if the software is "not satisfied". So the system is defined not only by antenna performance but by many other components, hard- and software.

Reactions: Linn

Linn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
BT and GPS antenna combos have the problem that as first LNA of GPS receiver not have good enough narrow band filter will it be saturated by BT tx signals. Even if software allows both system to operate will GPS function be very suffering. Most likely for your phone, is GPS turned of by software when BT is in use. In cell phones are GPS and FM radio RX combo chips common but they do not share same antenna and none of them is transmitting so it is not a any problem to let them both operate at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Linn

Linn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back