Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can the FPGA be used to implement an ethernet switch ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haytham-Sief

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fpga ethernet switch

Hii everybody ?
I wonder if anybody can tell me if I can use any tyoe of the FPGAz to implement an ethernet switch ? If yess plzz tell me where can I find any related usefull data concerning that issue. Also if u know a specific type of FPGA plzz tell me.

xilinx ethernet switch

it can - have however many EMAC IP cores that you want on the FPGA, and then PHY's on the outside. You can do all the switching by using a soft-processor, or in hardware if you want to be really fast. Area will be a main concern, and that will depend on how many ports you want to switch.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to make your own switch?

ethernet switch fpga

Thnx so much. yes I'm on my way to make my own switch. Plzz can u supply me with any data or any details. I have no idea where to seach. All the data on the net are concerned with how to use a switch. I found no data on how to implement a switch. Thnz again

ethernet switch vhdl

I'm not sure you can find information that easily since I doubt code is readily available for this kind of stuff. I have some information on my web page:
**broken link removed** - check the EthDev section. It's a development board with an FPGA and Ethernet PHY. A new version I'm working on (also available there) has the same setup except with RAM so I can fit more code since I ran out of room on the FPGA. Tol make a switch, all you have to do is replicate the design as many times as you want. What kind of design resources do you have access to, and is this for hobby or work? If for work, look into higher end PHY's that have multiple phy's in the same chip - or if you really have access to good stuff, Broadcom makes IC's that are switches. You don't have to do any coding, just put the chip on board. Can't do it with a hobby board though.. you can email/msg me off-line for more specific questions

l2 ethernet switch design fpga

go to xilinx website www.xilinx.xom

There is a section of application notes inwhich u can find design notes on ethernet switch.

switch ethernet fpga

yes, a fpga can implement an ethernet switch absolutely.

for suitable device, you can visit

www.xilinx.com or

www.altera.com

to find the device what you want.

best regards

Haytham-Sief said:
Hii everybody ?
I wonder if anybody can tell me if I can use any tyoe of the FPGAz to implement an ethernet switch ? If yess plzz tell me where can I find any related usefull data concerning that issue. Also if u know a specific type of FPGA plzz tell me.

ethernet switch in fpga

yes u can.

i saw a book its called "VHDL for programmable logic" by the autor "Kevin Skahil"

one of the sample projects he did in the book is an ethernet switch.

he mentioned it cant be used commercially since it dont cover everything of ethernet switches but he said it is also applicable.

i tried the code but didnt use it practically so i dont know if it will really work or not.

i hope it will and this answer ur question that u can implement ethernet switch with FPGA's.

good luck

vhdl ethernet switch

It's based upon the performance goal and the scale ur design is required for.
U can go to the www.opencore.com to get some free core and datasheet for Eth switches.
Good luck.

Added after 4 minutes:

Sorry, it's www.opencores.com. My fault.

vhdl ip switch

Thnx very much everybody. Thnx jdhar for ur support. Plzz tell me how can I communicate with u.

Added after 1 hours 36 minutes:

can u tell me wolfheart where to find a free copy of that book coz I cant ?! Thnz so much

ethernet switch fpga core

ok haytham

if u live in cairo, then u will find a library near 3in-shams university sell this book,this library sell cheap copies of the book.sorry, i dont remember the library name, but ask around and u will find it just ask them for the name of the book and its author, actually a friend baught it for me. ill will ask him to tell me the library name.

the book costs only 50 or 55 pounds.

good luck

fpga based ethernet layer 2 switch

It mainly depneds on your application, the idea of several MAC is very hard to implement and will take alot of area you may use a software MAC, all can be done with embedded processor like Microblaze or the PowerPC, you can do a full tcp stack while handling some of MAC functions with HW, other wise it will be very costy to implement, a hardware MAC will take a large area on FPGA.
I want to note that switches have many other function for example they should serve LLC layer, like STP protocol which will be unsuitable to be done using HW,

In general a switch can be done with
1- PHYs as many as your switch should handle "V4" offers IOs that can be configured as a MAC PHY, this will be very suitable for such an applications,
2- a soft or hard processor to run the MAC at effeciently with some prepherals
3- Content Addressable RAM for the MAC table.
4- An effecient real time operating system RTOS, to handle as many MAC as it can.

there have been a good discussion about EMAC at here

hope this had helped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back