Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone id this small stereo audio amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Build-A-Burger

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
small audio amp.jpg

I can see which posts on the lower right are for the output speakers, and the small connector labeled 'L' & 'R', but what voltage is the VCC? I'm thinking it might be 12vdc.

Possiblilities :

* Is it labelled for 8 ohm speakers? Anyway start testing with 8 since 4 ohm can draw extreme power.

* Isn't a volt rating marked on those electrolytic caps? A reasonable supply voltage is 1/2 of that volt rating.

* Touch a finger to the heatsink as you increase the volume gradually over a few minutes. Consider you're at maximum watts when it's too hot to keep your finger on.

This is definitely a class-D high power audio amp. Visually similar is this one. Based on TPA3116 chip. Definitive answer if you remove the heatsink and see what written on the IC.

Possiblilities :

* Is it labelled for 8 ohm speakers? Anyway start testing with 8 since 4 ohm can draw extreme power.

* Isn't a volt rating marked on those electrolytic caps? A reasonable supply voltage is 1/2 of that volt rating.

* Touch a finger to the heatsink as you increase the volume gradually over a few minutes. Consider you're at maximum watts when it's too hot to keep your finger on.
That's good info. The cap says 35v so it's probably 12vdc for the supply.
--- Updated ---

An image search just shows printed ckt boards.
I remember now, I got it from:
Parts Express
--- Updated ---

It looks like you can go as high as 24v power supply input and it's an 8 ohm speaker.
YT Review

Last edited:

Hi,
An image search just shows printed ckt boards.
For me it gives a lot of pictures from selling sites. And on these sites you find the specifications.

Also on one of your pictures you clearly can see the part number "SKU 7944". A search on this gives hits with even more informations.

After you know it uses the TPA3116 chip --> you may do a search for the IC datasheet. As long as they designed the PCB correctly and dimensionated the parts correctly you should rely on the datasheet specifications.

But mind: When the datasheet says 30V absolute maximum, then they mean this seriously. Any voltage above this limit may immediately (within illiseconds) kill the chip. (The manufacturer may add some headroom, but I strongly recommend not to rely on this)

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back