Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can somebody teach me to design a simple pll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshah

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
simple pll

Hi,

I want to learn how to design simple pll? I know there are many available in the market from different companies. first of all, I want to understand why pll is used and how it is used? What are different topologies? How to design integer N and fractional N synthesizer? What is phase frequency detector? what is charge pump? How loop filter bandwidth can affect the performance of pll? How important is the phase noise of VCO and reference oscillator? What is the tuning sensitivity of the VCO? what is rms jitter? How the output frequency of phase detector is important? what is loop bandwidth? what is phase noise and how it is measured? How to understand that 10Hz, 100 Hz, 1Khz, 10 khz measurement for phase noise? What is the typical value for phase noise? until what point the phase noise is measured? what is exactly the phase noise at 10 hz, 100 hz, 1khz, 10 khz?

Please provide me as much information as you can. Thank you in advance.

floyd gardner pll

I´m afraid that such a long list of questions cannot be answered in this forum.
More than that, for a beginner it´s best to read an appropriate text book instead of using some mosaic pieces delivered by several people.
Search within this forum and you will see that a lot of books about pll design and application are mentioned and even posted.
Good luck.

floyd gardner charge pump

lvw,

I don't want all of my answers. But if you can give me some important information such as regarding loop bandwidth, phase noise etc., it will be of great help. I know I have many questions. However, I am hoping to get some help out of this forum.

Thanks

can somebody teach me arabic

In your first post/first sentence you say "I want to learn how to design a pll".
I can assure you, that you never can understand the function of a pll resp. learn how to design a pll circuit by picking up some information posted in this forum. Its really a wasting of your time. I know what I am speaking about ! Believe me.
Try to find a good book and learn the basics. And then - if some specific problems arise - you can post some questions at this place. Thats my recommendation.

simple pll circuit for experiment

tshah said:
Hi,

I want to learn how to design simple pll?
I think you really need to get some good reading and then come back if you need further assistance!. There is no way we can help you starting from scratch, way too much to learn!

Try this link for a starter (written by one the EDAboard veterans)
**broken link removed**

There are several books you can read, but later copies of the Radio Amateurs Handbook by ARRL has some pretty good basics about the topic.

If you need further reading, just let us know!

Regards
WD

simple pll circuit for experiment

Thank you for all of the replies

banerjee pll

Taking account all your questions, the best way, if you have a knowledge of Control Systems theory (if not, you must do) is:

First read a books and articles about PLL (in this forum are plenty of these) and then make a lots of experiments and practice.

I started with these:

"Phaselock techniques" Floyd M. Gardner
"PLL Performance, Simulation and Design Handbook" Dean Banerjee

B.R

teach me some degins

That's what i was expecting. Starting node for PLL.

Thanks Byteptr.

I appreciate all of the replies.

simple pll circuit

The Banerjee book is a good one, especially if you plan to experiment with National Semiconductor or Analog Devices PLL chips.

For a total beginner, Howard Berlin's book is a good one to start with.

Be sure to download Analog Devices's free **broken link removed**. This is more like a "wizard" for PLL design than a simulator per se.

pll floyd m gardner download free

I am attaching few tuts/study documents for PLL
If you know ADS then you will enjoy reading this
Abhishekabs

Hi abhishekabs,

I don't know how can I say thank you for your material on PLL. But it is a great work.
I appreciate it.

Thanks

Dean Banerjee's book is available on-line at National...

**broken link removed**

As said by others it seems a pretty good book, and it's free!

tshah

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello,
I am a fan of all this design stuff and when somebody suggest me some good reading, I have to say my thanks in the lines as below.

"My salute to the person who wrote that book and to " webdog" who suggested me to read this pll_design book. It's a great book. I just read one chapter of it and It is so interesting."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back