Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CAN protocol Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandu.chandu

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I would like to know Which Micro controllers are compatible for Implementation of CAN & I2C protocols.
can we implement both protocols using AT89C51?

Please reply as soon as possible.....:roll:

u can develop using AT89c51 but it is complicated as there are no built in function or specific pins for these protocols. So better go to PIC micro controllers.

Microchip do a stand alone Can controller with an SPI interface, the MCP2515. So your chosen micro could work with an bit banged spi interface.
The AT89C51 is not recommended for new designs.
Better to choose a micro with a few more on board peripherals.

I would like to know Which Micro controllers are compatible for Implementation of CAN & I2C protocols.
can we implement both protocols using AT89C51?

Many of the microcontroller families have devices which support CAN and I2C Protocol/Interfaces.

If you are already familiar with the 8051, then Silicon Labs (Silabs) maybe a good choice:

SiLabs C8051F0x/51x Automotive & Industrial MCUs

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Silicon Labs' 8051 offer performance up to 100MIPS offer a full range of peripherals, their development kits are fairly inexpensive and include a USB JTAG programmer/debugger along with the development board. The development boards are also available separately, at very inexpensive prices. If you are on a tight budget checkout their "ToolStick" USB Development Kits at $25 and with additional daughter cards less than $10, they are hard to beat.

SiLabs USB ToolStick Development

And there are other options if you do not mind learning a new platform, just a few possibilities:

**broken link removed**

ATMEL CAN/VAN Networking

NXP ARM/Microcontroller CAN Solutions

Of course, the decision of which device should be based largely on application requirements.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back