Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can PIC16F877 do floating point math?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenlkz

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microchip an575 picfloat

Hello everyone! Im doing my final project about intelligent traffic system with fuzzy logic that need to build into PIC16F877. But I face a problem that is there are no multiply, divide, square and square root instruction with MPlab. Another problem is I need to do the math in floating point. How can I solve it? Any advices and suggestions do u all can give me?
Thanks for spending your time.

Which programming language are you using??

Please state wheter you program in assembler, basic, c ...

best regards

i am sorry it is not the compiler ,but the file size i want to send to you is very large
so send me your email and i will send it to you by parts.
:eek:

stevenlkz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Most small MCUs do not have an FPU unit due to various constraints. If you are using C there is probably a FP library available. Not very efficient though, it will cost speed and memory.

Im using the MPlab, which is an assembler. I must use the floating point for my fuzzy logic.

Check out Application note AN576 (I think) from Microchip. It gives details on implementing IEEE-754 compliant floating point routines. (If it's not AN576, try AN575. The Microchip website is down right now, so I could not check).

yes, PIC16F877 has a floating point math i know because

in my final project i am using this microcontroller but using a compiler of
WIZ-C which provide the fascility of
floating point math

u can check the software at

wizc.co.uk/fored

if u are using an assembler u have to implement floating point algoritham urself, or else if u use any c compiler ther will be build in libraries that take care of floating point operations. flaoting point operations require more instructions to execute. mostly the micro clock determines how fast floating point operations takes place and jence if ur clock freq. is too small then micro an't complete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.