Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can PIC 18F4550 be a host when using USB?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

truth_seeker

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic usb host

Hello all,

I have a project in which PIC 18F4550 is used, what I wanted to do is taking the data from the PIC then send it to a mobile phone through USB , but someone told me this can't be done , since both of the PIC and the mobile phone are clients and can't be hosts , and for USB to work there must be a host to manage the bus ..is that true??? in other words..can PIC 18F4550 be considered the host needed for USB to work ??if not..does that mean to drop the idea of connecting the PIC and the mobile phone through USB???

thanks a lot

pic usb master

Yes it's true. The 18F4550 is an USB device only.

For host operation you can use MAX3421E in combination with your PIC. Or, you can use another microcontroller with OTG or Host capabilities. By the way, Microchip is going to release a PIC24F with USB on-the-go capabilities.

Regards,
Franck.

pic18f usb host

crevars said:
Yes it's true. The 18F4550 is an USB device only.

For host operation you can use MAX3421E in combination with your PIC. Or, you can use another microcontroller with OTG or Host capabilities. By the way, Microchip is going to release a PIC24F with USB on-the-go capabilities.

Regards,
Franck.

^^^^ The above poster is correct. The 18F USB compatible micros are USB device only. The new 24F USB micros will indeed have on-the-go and, therefore, USB host capability. I happen to be using the new 24F on my new design. It's looking like these new micros will be going into production in a month or so. There are currently samples right now, but are somewhat hard to obtain....

18f4550 usb host

crevars , rex_llama thanks for replying , but does using MAX3421E with PIC need alot of work to do??? since time is of big importance to me .

or is it better to connect the PIC with the mobile phone using RS232??

thanks a lot

pic18f4550 usb host

If you can do it using rs232, do it ! rs232 is much more easier than usb. Moreover, if you don't have much time don't even think about learning usb and use MAX3421 very quickly...

You'll do it when you have time, it's very interresting :)

Regards,
Franck.

usb host pic

Franck, thanks for your advice

but can you explain to me why dealing with rs232 is easier than dealing with usb???

besides..I read in this forums alot of topics talk about connecting PIC microcontrollers with mobile phones for sending sms ..I understood that AT commands are essential in this..but does sending data to the mobile phone and make it send the data through gprs require the same thing..(i mean programming ..commands..etc ) that is required in sending sms from the pic??

I hope my question is clear

thanks a lot

pic as usb host

but can you explain to me why dealing with rs232 is easier than dealing with usb???

In rs232 communications there is no host/device/bus concept...You just send and receive bytes, that's it. The usb protocol is much more than simply send and receive bytes, take a lokk at the usb spec and you'll understand (or look at this website for example: https://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb1.htm).

I don't know much about interfacing cell phones, I can't help you...

Regards,
Franck.

pic18f2550 usb host

Generally there is much more setup required to implement USB. You have to understand descriptor tables, enumeration, endpoints and their respective buffers, etc. You have to figure out what class, subclass, protocol you're going to use, what kind of transfer type (bulk, interrupt, isosyncronous, control)....it's a lot of stuff compared to RS232.

RS232 is just setting up a UART on your micro, setting up buffering and interrupts, and you're ready to send bits.

pic host usb

Greetings,

The problem of PIC 18F4550 beeing a host is only the software or hardware? For example, i wanna plug an usb device to this microcontroller, and read through the usb interface some parameters from this usb device plugged to uC. Is not this simple?

As the goal is the uC read data from this usb device plugged, can we just read this device using the current driver/stack/microchip software? otherwise, what steps must be completed before we get that goal?

Best regards.

pic18f4550 usb interrupt transfer

PIC24FJ256GB110 will be out in April attached is the pre-datasheet I did get from them and which is not released yet !. You need a OTG or host device otherwise you can't connect a client like a memory stick a printer etc... You can also use a PIC32 with OTG !.

pic 18f4550 as usb host

we are doing the same..
we are using pic18f4550 as the heart and max3421e as the limbs that supports the usb peripheral

max3421 pic

We're using the Vinculum. Seems to work with flash drives just fine. Its a 2 USB port device and can act as "HOST" or "DEVICE" (Master / Slave). We're using it through its UART interface. It is a 3.3 volt device but most lines are 5 VOLT SAFE.

pic usb otg

We can implement MAX3421 as a host for you if you need it.

Regards,
Circatek Design Solutions

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. I need to connect Sony Ericsson K810i phone to a PIC16F877 and communicate between Java mobile application running in the phone and PIC. I have designed the circuit. But i have no idea about how to establish the connection between PIC and phone from Code (C Code).

**broken link removed**
Schematic is not completed...

Help me on this,

Regards,

-KUSHAN-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back