Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can PIA be used as an interface to PIC 16F84A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBO

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic16f90

can PIA be used as an interface to pic 16f84a

PIA

depends on your application and corresponding PIA IC

PIA

Most chips like that are interfaced in hardware much like external memory. But I can remember interfacing an old 8255 (i think that is the port chip but if it's the timer chip what can I say, it's been a long time) to the parallel port. Why not just use some 74374 latches that are selected with a 74138 encoder? 3 lines allow you to select 8 ports. With an inverter like a 7406 or 7405 and six pins from the pic, you can control 64 374 latches. You can even wire the 374's up to make it serial i/o, then just use one line for data and one line for a clock. Or just use the sync serial port built into most pics (forget the 84, it's 8 years out of date - use the 628 instead and have a look at the most amazing micro I've ever seen, the 20 pin pic16f90) The only advantage the 8255 has is you can make the ports (within reason) bi-directional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back