Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can Modelsim PE (Windows) be installed and run on Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boardlanguage

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
modelsim wine

I know Modelsim PE is a Windows-only application.
And I know Mentor has more expensive simulators (LE, SE) for UNIX/Linux/Solaris.

I read about people getting Xilinx Webpack 6.x to run on Linux. That was another Windows-only program, before Xilinx officially supported Linux. Something about a 'Windows emulator' under Linux...

So my question is, is there a way to run Modelsim PE on Linux? I'm using Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 Update 4, if it helps.

modelsim tcl library linux

You might try using Wine?

modelsim for windows

using wine? i think the perfromance is very bad.
maybe you can install SE on linux, but use the LE licsence to run it. i'm not familar with mentor tools, so i'm not sure about it, maybe you can try it yourself.

linux modelsim command

I tried running (Xilinx) Modelsim XE-III 6.3c on a Centos 4.6 x86_64 system, with WINE 0.9-57. Well it failed pretty miserably.

I hanged during install. Then after install, I couldn't launch the program directly from the 'WINE Programs' folder.

From command-line, I tried starting win32xeom/modelsim.exe, but I couldn't find mfc42.dll. I copied mfc42.dll from a Windows/PC to the Windows\system32 area in my WINE-installation.

Re-ran from command-line, then got license-file error. Copied license.dat from a Windows/PC, then ran winecfg to manually set the "C: drive" (in WINE) VSN to match the license's hard-drive serial#.

Re-ran from command-line, and it looked like XE-III finally started, but it popped up an error-dialog "itcl package not found" (something to do with the tcl packages.)

I gave up...

I also tried installing Aldec Active-HDL (eval) 7.3sp1 on WINE. It installed, and ran ok. I can create new projects, edit HDL-files, and compile them. But I can't run any simulations. No matter what I try, the simulator tells me it can't find my topmodule, and refuses to start. (The program never updates the working-library area -- it stays at size 0.)

modelsim linux wine

good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.