Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can MAX712 be used for charging NiCd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joozwa

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
max712

Hello everybody :D
I have a question as in the topic. Has anybody tried charging NiCd cells with MAX712, which is basically designed for NiMH? I've read a lot (including application note) but found no answer. MAX713 terminates fast charge by detecting negative voltage slope (cell voltage beginns falling), and MAX712 - by detecting zero voltage slope (cell voltage stops raising). So I think there's no danger of overloading NiCd by MAX712, which detects full charge more precisely, am I right?

Thanks in advance
Łukasz

max712 charger

I used only 713 but I read app notes. I agree with you.
Anyway you can make the pcb and solder a socket. If you need substitute 712 with a 713 you can do it as soon as you get it.

joozwa

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
max 713 charger pcb

look at the vharging characteristic of battery, you'll fing the solution

joozwa

max713 pcb

Hi, thanks for your answers :D
trapoe said:
I used only 713 but I read app notes. I agree with you.
Anyway you can make the pcb and solder a socket. If you need substitute 712 with a 713 you can do it as soon as you get it.
I've already got both 712/713, but the second one in a SMD package and you know what it means for beginner :D... That's why I wonder if I can use one MAX712 based charger for both NiCd and NiMH cells.

e_eja said:
look at the vharging characteristic of battery, you'll fing the solution
I've done so, and my answer is "yes", but I'm not quite sure, because it's stated that MAX713 is for NiCd and NiMH and nothing like that is written about MAX712. I guess MAX712 can terminate NiCd fast charge just a little bit too early, but nothing wrong should happen besides.
Please help
Łukasz

If this is a prototype and you're a beginner I suggest to use DIP package.
I just checked Maxim site and you can get few samples of MAX713CPE+, C means "commercial" i.e. 0-70 °C, and P means Plastic dip 16 pins.
Anyway waiting for 713 you can use 712.

joozwa

Thanks, I'll try :D
As far as I know Maxim does not send samples to Poland any more. I bought mine from a guy who'd got them from Maxim some time earlier :| But, in fact that was almost the only chance for me to get them :( And, wasn't it for such people, Maxim would surely continue sampling to Poland...
So, I understand I can replace MAX713 with MAX712 for Nickel-Cadmium cells and nothing wrong should happen.

Regards
Łukasz

Today I made the first attempt to charge NiCd with MAX712. I use old GPs 1000mAh and fast charge current is 500mA. The charger (which is simplest linear application circiut) switches to trickle charge after about 20 minutes each time :( So my guess was correct, the device terminates charge too fast. The batteries don't even get warm. Voltage across sensing resistor is correct (250mV) so fast charge of 500mA is not a problem even for old cells. I' not sure if I should try also at 750mA or 1A :| Seems like it's better to use MAX713 (or only NiMH cells :D ), or another charger.

I think topic can be closed.
Thanks,
Łukasz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back