Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CAN interview questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sivamit

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
anyone has CAN interview question related docs or website..?
Please post it..
Next week I have 2-3 interviews related to automotive..help

hai you got any CAN interview questions in this long period... please share if u got some

in one interview i faced a question.. what is Mask Filter

oops.. No reply... No body working with CAN

Some CAN controllers provide you a mechanism to filter out the reception of messages at hardware level. You set the mask filter and if the ID of an incoming message passes that filter only then it is received and the controller is interrupted.

In mask filter you can specify which bits of an incoming acceptable message must be DOMINANT, which must be RECESSIVE and which one are don't care.

CAN questions:

Describe the format of the following standard can frames:

Standard data frame
Extended data frame
Remote frame
Error frame
Overload frame
Interframe space.

Explain the following terms:

Tq
Propagation time segment = 8Tq
Phase buffer Segment 1 = 6Tq
Phase buffer Segment 2 = 5Tq
Synchronized jump width = 4Tq

What is bit stuffing?

How is message priority resolved when two frames collide?

If you can answer the above. Your hired!

btbas has given you right hints. In general you should go through the protocol description to be ready to answer any questions. Let me give you a few examples to test your understanding after you have gone through the protocol specs.

What is the difference between a standard and an extended CAN frame. Can they coexist on a network?

If they can co-exist, which one will have priority; if not, what is the reason?

Describe some problems associated with multimaster protocols. How does CAN handle them?

Describe the process of bus arbitration in CAN?

What's the difference between CSMA/CR and CSMA/CD?

How can we identify a specific sensor in a CAN network?

Which of the RTR and Data frame has higher priority. Explain why?

What is bus termination resistor value for CAN? Do they vary if we put them in each node instead of bus ends?

etc. etc.

maybe also something about maximum cable lengths? Why? and how to calculate?

Thank you guys for sharing....

@virtualThread
How can we identify a specific sensor in a CAN network?

can u please answer this....

What is the difference between CAN Bus and its higher layer protocols

This question is more like the start of a discussion and will depend upon how you and the interviewer carry this.

One can say that at CAN level, the concept of node is transparent. One doesn't need to know where a message is coming from, it should just concentrate what the message is. Higher layer protocols do usually reserve a part of the CAN ID field to number the nodes in the network.

I see that it's been answered by him. A sensor is a node.

Higher layer protocols do usually reserve a part of the CAN ID field to number the nodes in the network
so you can do that.

Each sensor in a CAN network can be called as a Node.. Each CAN node consist of a CAN ID (somthing like a IP address v have for our LAN network..) When a node want to communicate with another then the message that has to me communicated will be appended with the specific CAN ID and will be broadcasted in the network and according to the acceptence filter configuration the message will be read by any other node or will be discarded

Is there a specific format to Transfer a message in CAN protocol or it is vendor dependent...

is there any spec abt Message encoding in CAN protocol...

CAN is a protocol made by bosch. its spec is avilable in google.. its a bit confusing to read that spec.. anyway if u read it a couple of times u will get some idea...!!!

@gooofy871
i have read the Spec.. i have good idea on its protocol... all i want to know is how the Messages are encoded in CAN protocol... for Ex.. if i have to read Engine Temperature, how Temperature will be encoded with message...

If i am right r u confused how this transmission is happening?? I m attaching a sample code of a CAN transmitter and CAN receiver.. and also a CAN primer from Keil which explains how to create a CAN Network.. Hope this might help you..

Hi, I am also working on developing a CAN node using LCP2378. where can i get the source code from @goofy871

Send gooofy871 a personal message by clicking PM button against his post.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back