Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can Install EDA Tools on Apple Laptops ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omara007

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
centos eda tools

Hi Folks

Can I install EDA Tools on Apple laptops running Linux ? What architectures does Apple use for its laptop microprocessors ?

eda macintosh

Check out **broken link removed**

centos eda

bharundi said:
Check out **broken link removed**

But this link talks about EDA on Mac OS .. and I'm talking about Linux OS running on Apple laptops .. not Mac OS ..

eda for mac

So far, all unix/linux programs (binaries; regardless of EDA programs) do not work straight out of box. You either have to recompile or get binaries for Mac OS. Mac OS is based on BSD, which Apple have tweaked and called it Darwin (kernel of Mac OS). Also there might not be major architectural differences (just like various flavours of Linux/Unix), but most often differences in/lacks of libraries and more specifically the use of binary format (*nix uses ELF vs. Mac OS - mach-o) in Mac OS prevent the Unix/Linux applications in Mac OS. I think it is just equally possible for EDA vendors to provide binaries for Mac OS after all it is just another flavour of Unix!

So in short, no you can't that easily. Unless there is a binary translator/converter! :=)

A hypervisor would be a good idea if you want to run a broad range of EDA applications in their natively supported platform on an Apple computer.

how i can setup programs on apple laptop

the best thing to do would be to use mac os on your apple laptop, then get a virtualisation software like parallel desktop or vmware fusion.(they run on mac os)

then you can install almost every OS you want (win, linuxes) with them and then run every possible software with every operating system you want.

eda mac os

I just found so many linux on the internet saying that Apple can easily accept RHEL installation !! .. anyone has a real experience in that ?

cadence eda on mac os

I have used Ubuntu 8.10/9.04 and CentOS 5.2/3, and the binaries for RedHat work fine. The closest to RedHat is CentOS.

eda tools for mac

bharundi said:
I have used Ubuntu 8.10/9.04 and CentOS 5.2/3, and the binaries for RedHat work fine. The closest to RedHat is CentOS.

I am quite familiar with CentOS as I do have it on my Dell laptop since 2005.

I just have one more question:
If Apple laptops are using normal Intel microprocessors .. and for sure this can run Linux .. like CentOS and others .. why there is a problem have a platform of Intel+linux on an Apple laptop to run famous EDA tools like Synopsys and Cadence ? .. why should we have specific binaries for this platform ?

osx apple eda

NO you don't need any specific binaries if you are going to install in Linux natively on an Apple computer; more specifically RedHat/CentOS. They work without any major problems. Just as you are familiar with CentOS on your laptop. In this case you can install RHEL release. But the installation procedure is not that straight forward as it would be on a PC.

BUT, if you want to run Linux binaries in Mac OS, then you can't do (at least easily)! For that case, best option is a hypervisor (a virtualization software). I think, I may have misunderstood you regarding this part! If that's the case, I apologise for that.

If you are interested running Linux natively on an Apple computer (Intel Platform), not using a hypervisor in Mac OS, then I think, at the moment, the installation procedure for Ubuntu is well documented. You may be able to equally install other distro as well.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

And when I said I have used Ubuntu and CentOS, i was refering to them using a hypervisor in Mac OS, not natively, on an Apple computer. I had only tried Ubuntu natively on an Apple computer; before resorting to the hypervisor approach.

Just curious which applications are you interested running? I am using Ubuntu 9.04 and all applications I have tried so far from the major vendors work just fine. (Of course, you might have install some additional libraries, but that's pretty easy in Ubuntu!)

installation of eda applications

But what makes Apple laptops so different if they still use Intel normal processors ??? these processors are available for apple and for others ..

apple laptops in uae

what is efi boot system ? .. and is it the only difference between normal PC and apple ?

Status
Not open for further replies.