Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use this circuit to charge the 1.5 V Ni-Mh batteries using this solar panel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pic.programmer

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can I use this circuit to charge the 1.5 V Ni-Mh batteries using this solar panel ?

https://robokits.co.in/solar-panels/solar-panel-3v-200ma-for-diy-projects

I am referring to this circuit. It uses 2.4V Solar Panel and he uses two diodes and so 1.4V is dropped. So, is he charging the battery with 1V ?

What happens if a 1.5V battery is charges with a solar panel voltage of 2.3 V or 2.6 V ?

I need to charge two batteries in series. Should I use 2 x Solar panels of 3.3V in Series ?

Twi 1.5V batteries are in series and I am using NCP1402 circuits to get 5V and 3.3V 200 mA. 5V from booster powers Ultrasonic sensor and ATMega328P and 3.3V powers nRF24L01.

The quiscent current of NCP1402 circuit is 1 mA. Can I get any better device whose quiscent current is less than 1 mA and which can provide 3.3V and 5V 200 mA from 2 to 3V input. I will use two such circuits to get 3.3V and 5V.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit:

Can I use this solar panel (6V 200 mA)

https://robokits.co.in/solar-panels/solar-panel-6v-200ma-for-diy-projects

to charge two Ni-Mh batteries in Series ? I will use 1 or 2 IN4007 diode in series to drop the voltage. What should be the charging voltage to provide across the two series 1.5V batteries ?

Attachments

• battery charger.png
    battery charger.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 127
  • MSP430-SOLAR.pdf
    34.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

I have selected the right device. I will be using these to get 5V and 3.3V from 2 x 1.2V Ni-Mh batteries in series.

https://www.ti.com/product/TPS61222

These two devices have very low quiscent current. These two circuits will be always on and connected across the batteries and the battery is connected to solar panel.

Solar panel is rated at 6V 200 mA. I will be using one or more diodes to drop the solar panel voltage. Please tell me what should be the battery charging voltage when two 1.2V batteries are connected in series. Also should I use any device for smart charging ? Does the batteries get killed if smart charger is not used for charging ?

ATMega328P gets 5V power from 5V TPS62222 circuit and nRF24L01 will get 3.3V from TPS62221 circuit. The Atmega328P will power the Ultrasonic Sensor which requires 15mA. The ATMega328P wakes up due to WDT and then powers the Ultrasonic sensor and pings it once and gets distance data and then turns off the Ultrasonic sensor. Then it transmits the data using nRF24L01. Totally it will take 50 ms to execute the while(1) loop once and after this it goes to power down mode and will be inactive for 8 seconds and then it wakes up again and the process repeats.

I will be using 2x 1.2V 1500 mAH Ni-Mh batteries in series to power the TPSxxxxx circuits. The batteries will be charging during day time.

Can I use this device for smart charging of the batteries ?

https://www.linear.com/docs/5235

Can a 6V 200 mA Solar panel work with the above LTC device for battery charging ?

The LTC device requires 5V input. How to get 6V from 6V solar panel ? Should I use two diodes to drop the voltage ? The LTC device work from 4.5V to 10V So, can I directly provide 6V 200 mA of solar panel to LTC device ?

Last edited:

Go to www.batteryuniversity.com or Energizer Technical Info to learn about the details of charging Ni-MH battery cells. They must not be trickle-charged and the charger IC must detect that they are fully charged then shut off. I think the fast charger IC you posted will quickly destroy a Ni-MH battery if used frequently.

Daytime has the morning and afternoon when sunlight is weak. The solar panel produces its rated voltage and current only at noon on a sunny day when it is pointing at and moving with the sun.
I have a 12V solar panel that is 14V at its rated current to trickle-charge an old lead-acid battery but is 18V when it has low load current. (at noon on a sunny day when pointing directly at the sun)

Status
Not open for further replies.