Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can i use lm150 o/p(12V/3A) to 7805 to get (5v/1A)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anuradha bulakh

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want 12V/2A and 5V/1A power supply.
I am thinking to do as- use one single X'mer 0-15V/3A to LM150 .To adjust LM150 as it gives 12V and next 7805 to get 5V/1A.And O/P of LM150 12V/2A.
Can I think it?

One more, while using adjustable regulator that variable resistor are reliable?
Or for final product design I should replace that var res. by required fix one?

please help me.

Hi,
Thes is possible, but not the best for energy efficiency! :-(
LM150-350 has max. ca. 2.5-2.7V droout, thes with your 3A=minimum 8-10W dissipation.
The case "K" hase a therla res. Rja=<35degre/A, self with the minimal needed 2.6V Udrop it will be eventally on the thermal limite! You have very clear to dimensionate the input voltages...
Im not a friend of switxhers, but for such powers their are better, or you have to select moderner analog (low_or extrem low_Dropout reglers.
Micrel has i.e. good types for some Ampers too...
Variabel resistors are enough reliable for most apps(multiturns are better), but evrybody has a need to rotate on a trimmer resistor if will see it; so I did never design trimmers in a commercially produced supply_if its possible!
With that aspect are fixed resistors (applyed psychology) surly more reliable :).
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back