Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use DTMF tones to provide a 1400Hz hand shake and kiss off tones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJohn20

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My alarm panel will call my mobile phone when it is activated. However, to acknowledge that I have received the notice, and so stop the alarm panel from resending the alert, I need to reply with a 1400 Hz hand shake kiss off signal tone.

If I press the [3] button on my phone, this will generate a DTMF 1477 Hz and 697 Hz tone. Will this be close enough to the required 1400 Hz signal to provide the hand shake and kiss off?

Or is the only alturnative to have a 1400 Hz tone generator which I hold up to phone microphone?

Thanks.

The difference between 1477 and 1400 Hz is 5.5 percent. It's possible your alarm panel can detect a tone within that bandwidth. (Even with the 697 Hz tone playing at the same time.) It's the kind of thing where you have to experiment.

Or, you might obtain a whistle (pitch pipe, etc.) that produces 1400 Hz. That's 'F' two octaves above middle C.

Or, if you can remember how a 1400 Hz pitch sounds, and you whistle it, the alarm panel ought to detect that. Try gliding your whistle up and down around the pitch, and it could hit the right tone.

Last edited:

Thanks. That was what I thought but before experimenting it seemed a good idea to get a bit of background.

Thanks. That was what I thought but before experimenting it seemed a good idea to get a bit of background.

didi it work?

because i think you must have good accuracy at the frequency like +-5% for the kissoff frequency.

Haven't tried yet. I will have to wire it up on the bench and give it a test. I will let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back