Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use ARM9 processor for mpeg 4 decoding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solvall_ex1

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mpeg 4 decoding

picture resolution 160x240. frame rate 15 frames/s,

Can I use ARM9 processor to do purely s/w mepg 4 decoding ?
it is possible to run 15f/s ?

Re: mpeg 4 decoding

I heard of one thing that it's hard to play MPEG4 by s/w based decoding.
ARM9 is not that powerful.

yes, i am sure arm9 which can work at 400MHz has that power.I
I ever make a arm9 platform that can play picture resolution 320x240,frame rate 20frame/s

400 MHz is a huge power ... we are doing Half-D1 30 fps 352x240 H264 encoding and full D-1 Decoding at 300 MHZ processor by Philips

so i think 400 MHz can do a bit more
For this u have to do lots of optimizations
-We can discuss it in details if u want to proceed

swahlah said:
400 MHz is a huge power ... we are doing Half-D1 30 fps 352x240 H264 encoding and full D-1 Decoding at 300 MHZ processor by Philips

so i think 400 MHz can do a bit more
For this u have to do lots of optimizations
-We can discuss it in details if u want to proceed

I would like to start s/w based MPEG4 and H264 codecs.But don't know
How to make s/w codecs run efficiently.
Would you help me something about this coding.
Thank you

solvall_ex1,
Your question is very simple but the answer is too lengthy and tough .....
it took me two years to achieve this performance of H264 Codec on Philips DSPs...
But i think now it's not that tough for me.... So i can give u some suggestions in this context that will show u sudden improvement......

The main thing in Video Applications is the memory access .... so u have to reduce the memory access.. reduce cache misses... both data cache and instruction cache..... for this u have to redesign the whole data flow of the software..... change memories from multi-dimension to one-dimensional arrays....

second major thing is then the core loop optimizations using special instruction set of the processor targetted..........

this is just at abstract level.... but if u really wanna do it then u can contact me on my email or yahoo messenger.... my email is
swahlah@yahoo.com

add me on messenger using login name
swahlah

-see u there because here it willl be too tedious for me to communicate freely... as this problem requires lots of conversations

-Best Regards
Shafique

Could you tell me what ARM processor from Phillips? I am thinking of starting a open source hardware project that will require RTOS and able to send video and voice across the network. I am not very sure if the MPEG4 in the ARM is a viable option for me. I am also considering using MPEG4 chips but unsure of the cost involve.

Do you have any suggestion or tips?

hi, i want to make a project about encoding real time video,resolution 800x600,25frames. i would like to select h.264 data flow. who can give me some suggestions about scheme? i selected TI dm642 DSP which can operate on 720MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back