Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I run Room Air Conditioner through a DC to AC Inverter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slwthr

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm planing to make a 145W Solar Panel and Charge my 12VDC/120A Car battery then power up with 12VDC/230VAC 1500W Inverter...And want to use my laptop charger,and table fan and CFL light.

And also I wanted to know can I run any Air Conditioner unit though this inverter? Or there is any special Air Conitioner can use with Inverter??

You have small system for this!

What is charging cycle of 120Ah ? (theoreticaly if solar panel sits under street light solar panel give about 12A, 12hx12A=144Ah)

System on 12V for such amperage (wattage) is not good. System on 12V is for up to 500W not more. (500W/12V=42A on 24V system half of this).

One battery is ebough use bank of batteries and more power of panels.

Air Conditioner have motor inside, if standard HVAC thats very bad, use inverter tech. Standard have to high peak when starting compressor. For 12000BTU 1,5KW is enough You need 3KW or 4KW. Better consider inverter tech. compressor on 24V.

Also check standby current for that inverter of 1,5KW its about 1A I supose.

What battery You use? Consider multiple batteries. Lead Acid starter batteries should not be discharged complete. You say car battery 120Ah (Whata big car!). Every discharging under 11.9V kill batteries (its very very very bad for bat to go at 10,5V voltage level, starter is good for float discharging or about 70% not under this).
But DeepCycle can be discharge completely, but have smaller amperage on start, and ususally discharging at 20h, and they are very expensive. Calculate /10 or /20 discahrging time.
A failed cell in a parallel bank will sap energy as the other cells try to charge it. This can cause heat and loss of water in the failed cell as well as lost current capacity. The failed cell in series connections may add some resistance and, since it does not contribute any voltage, it will show as a reduced battery voltage.

Also consider up to 5 years life in float discharging, and for starter few days or one two weeks for starter if completely discharging.

Consider usage of desulfatisator.
Consider and put in calc losses and efficiency of inverter and all system this decrease battery amperage hour reserve. (probably will get to pull 20% more power on lower side).

For system always calc and consider following:
- input power (140W),
- condensator-bat of power (120Ah),
- consumer power needs (1,5KW),
- working time (for 120Ah, and 1,5KW at night You have theoreticaly few minutes of working time, and boiling of battery). LeadAcid batteries are designed for /10 or /20 time discharging. If You have 120Ah, 120Ah/10h=12A, 12A*10h=120W. You see now reason why people using lots of batteries in batteries bank (serial or parallel). If You go under /10 time discharge, declared manufacturer capacity does not apply, and curve of discharging time is much much different.

For stronger consuming needs from system, current is problem, and for this reason things goes to higher voltage, 48V 72V ... in electric cars is over 72V.

On Your system You can use smaller devices, such small lcd tv, laptop charger, table fan, CFL lights (but change CFL to LED (always use Warm White, not Cold White) lights, and other such smaller devices, even use of refrigerator.

Last edited:
inverters cannot run air conditioners because of the high starting current of the compressor motor
even air conditioners are not considered to be run by generators for the same reason

inverters cannot run air conditioners because of the high starting current of the compressor motor
even air conditioners are not considered to be run by generators for the same reason

One correction, You can run Air Conditioner on big inverter system and on big generator. But when induction load is present (motors) calc is made x3 for current in starting peak. If You whant to start and use standard air conditioner 12000BTU (1,3KW when heating), You need at least 5KW generator or inverter dc/ac system. This can be eliminated if you use "inverter tech" air conditioner. Or just bypass usage of inverter DC AC, and use compressor on 24V 48V. For all other load also looks first to work on lower side, LED Diode CFL on 12V 24V.....

Additional on that special military equipment, medical, and fine devices works over inverter, in first phase of power failure, that gives needed time for startup of first big generator, second big generator is backup for first, between switching inverter system carries a load. Generators may work in parallel with synhronisation of current, there are honda portable devices. Something like big UPS system with batteries like big house. Such things not for normal people DIY to much cost.

One of biggest problem today is make good and perfect battery.

Off Topic:
Dont forget that We live in world without full understanding, this world is based on collecting resources, not on clear minds. Maybe is cheaper to cool down with making of air draft, or heating with woods. Electricity should be free for everyone. Nikola Tesla one of biggest scientist in world on any times (originating from my country), make wireless transmission of power on long distance, and He intended to be a free for all people, but, ......

Imagine World with free electricity.

Last edited:
You have small system for this!

What is charging cycle of 120Ah ? (theoreticaly if solar panel sits under street light solar panel give about 12A, 12hx12A=144Ah)

System on 12V for such amperage (wattage) is not good. System on 12V is for up to 500W not more. (500W/12V=42A on 24V system half of this).

One battery is ebough use bank of batteries and more power of panels.

Air Conditioner have motor inside, if standard HVAC thats very bad, use inverter tech. Standard have to high peak when starting compressor. For 12000BTU 1,5KW is enough You need 3KW or 4KW. Better consider inverter tech. compressor on 24V.

Also check standby current for that inverter of 1,5KW its about 1A I supose.

What battery You use? Consider multiple batteries. Lead Acid starter batteries should not be discharged complete. You say car battery 120Ah (Whata big car!). Every discharging under 11.9V kill batteries (its very very very bad for bat to go at 10,5V voltage level, starter is good for float discharging or about 70% not under this).
But DeepCycle can be discharge completely, but have smaller amperage on start, and ususally discharging at 20h, and they are very expensive. Calculate /10 or /20 discahrging time.
A failed cell in a parallel bank will sap energy as the other cells try to charge it. This can cause heat and loss of water in the failed cell as well as lost current capacity. The failed cell in series connections may add some resistance and, since it does not contribute any voltage, it will show as a reduced battery voltage.

Also consider up to 5 years life in float discharging, and for starter few days or one two weeks for starter if completely discharging.

Consider usage of desulfatisator.
Consider and put in calc losses and efficiency of inverter and all system this decrease battery amperage hour reserve. (probably will get to pull 20% more power on lower side).

For system always calc and consider following:
- input power (140W),
- condensator-bat of power (120Ah),
- consumer power needs (1,5KW),
- working time (for 120Ah, and 1,5KW at night You have theoreticaly few minutes of working time, and boiling of battery). LeadAcid batteries are designed for /10 or /20 time discharging. If You have 120Ah, 120Ah/10h=12A, 12A*10h=120W. You see now reason why people using lots of batteries in batteries bank (serial or parallel). If You go under /10 time discharge, declared manufacturer capacity does not apply, and curve of discharging time is much much different.

For stronger consuming needs from system, current is problem, and for this reason things goes to higher voltage, 48V 72V ... in electric cars is over 72V.

On Your system You can use smaller devices, such small lcd tv, laptop charger, table fan, CFL lights (but change CFL to LED (always use Warm White, not Cold White) lights, and other such smaller devices, even use of refrigerator.

Thank you for reply.I have found a details about a Inverter technology Air Conditioner systems.A lot of Air conditioner Repairmen said those Inverter technology not working with big compressor its working with Inverter+Stepping motor.So It don't want get a big current/power when switching on/off.

here is the inverter AC : Mitsubishi MSZGE06NA - Inverter Compact Wall-Mounted Console Heat Pump - 6,000BTU

Any Idea about Inverter technology AC working through a Solar Panel+Battery Backup+Inverter?

here is the inverter AC : Mitsubishi MSZGE06NA - Inverter Compact Wall-Mounted Console Heat Pump - 6,000BTU

Any Idea about Inverter technology AC working through a Solar Panel+Battery Backup+Inverter?

6000BTU is not big if inverter tech. I dont see some problem to work if You make good calc of inverter, solar panels, and batteries. Calculation of course includes and working time on daylight and night.

For inverter air conditioner working on solar panels, consider using compressors on 24V 48 72V.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trion

Trion

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
basically inverters are commonly used to supply AC power from DC sources such as solar ... 2.5 Variable-frequency drives! still if you need more info feel free to visit our site.

**broken link removed**

Thank you for reply.I have found a details about a Inverter technology Air Conditioner systems.A lot of Air conditioner Repairmen said those Inverter technology not working with big compressor its working with Inverter+Stepping motor.So It don't want get a big current/power when switching on/off.

I'm looking for an a/c I can run off a battery bank in my van have you found a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back