Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I remove the USB plug from USB powered fairy lights?

Nexus-6

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,
Im making a model that will be internally lit by 2 sets of 120 USB fairy lights.
71opJUl3anL.__AC_SY445_SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Both sets have a USB plug on the end which contains some circuitry to control the pre-programmed modes and a wireless receiver.
I want to wire the lights to a toggle switch on-off-on (SPDT) so I can switch between the 2 sets and have different parts of the model lit.
My question is, can I cut off the USB plug and wire the lights directly into my toggle switch and then connect a standard 2 wire female USB plug to the toggle switch to power the lights.
Nearly all the string lights that have 50 lights, just have a standard USB connector, but the ones that are 100+ all have that extra circuitry in the USB connector, leading me to believe that there may be some switching happening so that only 50% are ever lit at any one time.
Any advice is welcome.
s-l1600.jpg

All the "50%" ones do is reverse the polarity. Some LEDs are wired one way, some the other, switching polarity makes one or the other light up.

If you wire a two-pole change-over switch to reverse the polarity it will do as you wish. Be careful not to overload the LEDs, there may be circuits in the controller to limit the current they can draw.

Brian.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: