Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I realize a DDR memory using FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

staraimm

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dpram ddr

hi, I want to create a DDR memory (not memory controller) using FPGA. Can you give me some suggestion?

ddr emulation fpga

The project doesn't seem to make sense. You may want to clarify it's purpose to motivate someone to help. Generally, the memory capacity of a FPGA is much smaller than even of a small DDR RAM.

I want to built a "memory" based on FPGA, which can be plugged into the DDR2 slot. The memory has the "DDR2" interface. And I can use other "storage" device on it to save the data(not in the FPGA buffer). However, I know that the memory access speed does not really reach "DDR2". It does not matter.

Can I realize such kind of thing? Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes I think, it should basically work. Using dual edge I/O cells (DDIO), you should be able a achieve similar speeds in RAM emulation as with a DDR controller based on the respective FPGA family. Because of the RAM latency, even access to a fast external storage medium (e.g. SSRAM) should work.

I am not familiar with "DDIO" cells. Can you explain more? Or give me some links. Thanks a lot.

Consult the datasheets of recent FPGAs with DDR support. The vendors have different names for the DDR specific hardware. DDIO is the A.ltera name.

staraimm

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
However, I don't think you can get reasonable density with the FPGA at least not with a significant hit to performance speed. After all, there is a lot of routing overhead internal to the FPGA (all them switch matrices and what not).

The performance is not cared by me. That's ok if the FPGA can realize the DDR protocol. If the interface can be realized, I think I can use several methods to save the data, such as FLASH or even through ethernet.

Status
Not open for further replies.