Can I purchase a domain, resolve its IP and use that in VNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bimbla

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
About VNC

Can I purchase a domain name, resolve its IP address and use that in VNC Server (Service mode)?

thanks and regards.

bimbla.

Re: About VNC

Why you want a domain name for VNC?

Because I have just purchased one for real cheap (Rs. 250/-). If I have a network card installed, even then I will have a fixed ip right?

bimbla.

Oki..so you bought a domain name...

Now you want to use "something.yourdomain.com" to point to your VNC server?

I assume you know our IP address of your VNC server then? And DNS A-record is setup accordingly?

Yes I will do just that . Thank you. I will keep us posted of the results. Are you running any such server?

bimbla.

P.S. I just tried testing it locally...It opens multiple windows of my desktop, until I right click and say stop.

I am on Win XP.

You do not really need a domain name with a fix IP to connect to the VNC server. I have succesfully done VNC or X [not secure though] over dynamic DNS hosts i.e. even over phone lines. The only thing you need is the server properly configure and a way of knowing its IP.

About VNC

I usually use the hostname:desktop_num_of_vnc to connect to vncserver. I also think it has no problem if you can get real IP through DNS server or hosts file...:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…