Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I Patent some Computer Hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvn0smnsn

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If I've come up with a design for some computer hardware that performs some often needed task that has some advantage over existing hardware or software applications (say in the areas of speed, cost, etc.), can I patent that hardware? If so, how exactly would I do that? It's going to involve a lot of Verilog code; is there some way to write that code that will make sure I get the rights to the product I produce? Would it be enough to add a comment at the start of each Verilog file that said:

(c) Kevin Simonson 2023

assuming I get this thing all coded in 2023? Would I need to do a patent search at some point? If I do, would I need a lawyer to do the patent search, and if so, how much can I expect that to cost?

I'm kind of just getting started with this thing, and I'm not entirely sure the right way to go.

Kevin S

What you've got there is a copyright symbol, not a patent. But it's all really squishy. Sometimes software is patentable, more often it's copyright-able.

If you really think you have something worthwhile, I'd talk to a lawyer. A copyright is inexpensive, (I think about $65 in the US) a patent is not.

kvn0smnsn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.