Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I import a gdsii file directly to MAGMA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvvijay78

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
importing a gdsii file

Hi,
I would like to know if i can import an gdsii file directly into magma tool.Is it required that i read the technology rules file and layer mapping file.
Is it the same with all the GDS2 viewers.
Regards
Vicky

Re: importing a gdsii file

I don't know about the tool that you are using, but there are several GDS2 viewers available that don't require technology files.

There is a free GDS2 viewer for windows called StreamVista. It can be downloaded from www.semigy.com.

StreamVista's default technology file is setup for mosis layer definitions. However, if you don't specify a technology file, one will automatically be created as you load gdsii files.

importing a gdsii file

i am a nowbie on layout .i am comfused . can you read the gdsii file correct without tf? as i know, the tf file specify the name which layer stand for. if you don't know what the layer mean ,how you can read it?
pls give some comment ,thx

You don't need a technology file to read in GDSII

Its not that easy to read GDS without knowing the technology file - but GDS itself does not use any technology file.
If you do not know the tech file, you can work out what layers are what by choosing something in the hierarchy to view, like a simple nmos and pmos transistor. Just viewing each of them gives you PWell (if any), NWell, thick gate, thin gate, gate poly, N+ source drain implant, P+N sd implant , (salicide block and esd implant if any by viewing the esd transistor separately), contact and metal 1. all the metals and via layers should be obvious from viewing something a little more complex like a IO pad.
This is usually adequate for deriving the schematic from the gds file.

importing a gdsii file

I tried to read gds file without tech file . Although i can not find out all info you said ,now i believe that gds file can be read without tech file .:)

If possible, you could upload the gds file and I can work out the tech file. It should only take about an hour-ish. By tech file, I only mean what GDS layers apply to what and the technology size (eg 0.18um).

importing a gdsii file

To Colbhaidh
Really?!
BTW,is that a waste of time .
If we have tf ,why we spend hours to work out it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back