Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I convert 2 8bit adc to a 12 bit adc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRAVEEN K

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Is there any possible way to convert 2 8bit adc to 12bit adc?

Thanks
Praveen.

Hi PRAVEEN K,

you can combine these two converters in different ways to get a 12bit ADC. Even 16bit is possible (in ideal case). But you'll need some further blocks.
My first guess is to use a two-step or a subranging (they are very similar) structure.
The first ADC works as a coarse ADC and gives you the higher 8 bits. These bits are converted back to the analog domain using a DAC. This signal is subtracted from the original signal. This signal is amplified by 2 to the power of 8 (or even less to enable digital error correction) and given to the second ADC to resolve the lower bits.

I hope this helps.
regards

If the question is related to IC design, the answer would be basically yes, but it involves digital error correction, as ddet2004 mentioned. If it's related to ADC application, I would say, effectively no.

I beg to differ here.

You can use 2 8-bits ADC to get 12 bits but it won't be a 12-bit 'ADC'. Basically to get 12 bits you need sampling capacitors of about 2^4 times higher than used in a typical 8-bit implementation to satisfy thermal noise requirements. Also, opamp must have 2^4 higher gain to satisfy accuracy requirements. So, if an adc is designed keeping in mind the requirements of 8-bits then you can not get the effective 12-bits out of the combination.

So, 2 8-bits can be combined to get 12-bits, but effective bits would be less than 8-bits and also have terrible INL and DNL as well.

I don't know if you all are satisfied with this answer?

It's a verbose form of "effectively no" in my opinion.

Hi PRAVEEN K,

There is actually a method to obtain higher resolution using a low resolution ADC. Search for: 'OVERSAMPLING AND DECIMATION' in GOOGLE. You can find some infromation from this app note as well: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc8003.pdf

This method is best when you use an ADC with a microcontroller.

actually a method to obtain higher resolution using a low resolution ADC
Yes and no. Oversampling can reduce noise, but it can increase linearity only by a rather small amount. Only one-bit ADC, as used in most simple SD-converters, don't suffer from ADC linearity errors. Multibit-oversampling designs, e.g. most recent audio ADC, have to use sophisticated correction circuits to overcome the problem.

This method is best when you use an ADC with a microcontroller.
Averaging or "decimation" is in fact required with many uP to get more than 7 or 8 effective bits from a "10 Bit" on-chip ADC. When suggested by vendors as Atmel, it sounds in my ears like "it's not a bug, it'a a feature".

For ac signal, percision rectify each half cycle seperatly. Invert -ve cycle. Feed to seperate adcs.Now you have doubled the resolution. Additionally you have information about zero crossing and + and - half cycles for synchronization.

Status
Not open for further replies.