Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can i Connect Tow FT232 in parallel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob_abraham

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have medical device connected to PC through USB
i checked out the device and found out the it uses FT232 converter.
Question is how to get data transmitted between computer and device?
Is there any possibility to connect second FT232 in parallel with the one inside the device?
can i connect two FT232 on parallel and got the same port in computer?
please help.

should be no problem - the two FT232 devices should appear as seperate USB virtual COM ports

thank for help but i need something else
Could this diagram works?

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 153

No you can't connect USB devices in parallel to the bus. You'll need an USB hub.

You can check the commercially available dual RS232-to-USB adapters. They either use a dual channel FT2232 (which would be also my suggestion for the problem) or two FT232 and a hub. Also separate EEPROMs are required with FT232.

no, to connect several USB devices to one host port you need USB-hub chip (TUSB2036, 2046, AU9254, AT43301, CY7C65113C)

I currently have three TTL-232R-3V3 USB serial cables plugged into my laptop.
They show as three seperate COM ports to teraterm in addition to COM1:

I currently have three TTL-232R-3V3 USB serial cables plugged into my laptop.They show as three seperate COM ports to teraterm in addition to COM1
in fact they connected to 3 different hosts

in fact they connected to 3 different hosts
you are correct!
if I plug the three TTL-232R-3V3 devices into a USB hub I get three COM ports as expected.
Is this what is required or have we got a long way from the original question?

Is this what is required or have we got a long way from the original question?
I think, the original question has been pretty clear.
connect second FT232 in parallel with the one inside the device
It has been also clarified with a schematic.

Thx For every body posted
Ok. i can't connect as schematic, therefor hardware solutions to spy would be useless, So i should turn to software solutions to spy ft232 virtual com port.
As mentioned above , you suggested me a usb sniffer software and i think it works, but what i need is C++ code, not exe file
any one can supply me C++ code to spy already opened com port? in other way can i write TWO c++ applications that use the same com port?

thx for help

but what i need is C++ code, not exe file any one can supply me C++ code to spy already opened com port? in other way can i write TWO c++ applications that use the same com port?
If the FT232 uses a virtual COM port interface, it can be sniffed also at serial port level. PORTMON is popular tool that does it. But interfacing it in your own code requires profound knowledge of Windows driver programming.

You surely can't access a Windows COM port by two applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.