Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can Cadence output to other EDA formats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsun

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to ask a question on Cadence file export.
cadence_export.png

I am using Cadence SPB 15.7, and has an Allegro file whose extension is .brd. I would like to export the file to Altum Designer files, so I tried File->Export. However, there seems to exist very few options of formats of other EDA software, albeit the availability of things like .DXF which are the generic CAD standard.

I am using the PCB Designer component of Cadence SPB. Is it the right component for exporting? Does there exist more export options?

Bob

No. You can export directly to Altium database from cadence allegro.

Reactions: bobsun

bobsun

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
atripathi,

What is the difference between Allegro and Cadence SPB? I am somewhat confused.

Bob

atripathi,

Could you show a screenshot, or type the commands sequence to export to Altium format?

Bob

I don't think, that Allegro can export to Altium designer. Altium designer however claims to import Allegro *.pcb files. Check the import wizard.

P.S.: I previously checked the Cadstar import feature of Altium, which basically worked.

Last edited:

bobsun

FvM,

Altium Designer can import Cadence .brd file but not perfect. The file in general can be imported via Import Wizard, and information on signal layers are preserved. However, for Internal Planes much of the splitting lines are missing, and the some split planes simply become hollow "Polygon Region".

Altium_corrupted_InternalPlane.png

Bob

The interesting question is, if the rework amount will be acceptable at least for a major redesign. I presume, that noone, who ever ported a design between cad tools, whatever method being used, would seriously think of a fully automatic conversion.

bobsun

I have in fact started manual rework on this ;p

hi bobsun
this is raju from india hyderabad ican do it for you i can move the cadence file to altium with 99%pefect but 1% you have to verify manualy

bobsun

sagiraju123,

This is already done, thanks all the same.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back