Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CAN bus - Atmel or Microchip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendoza666

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have an automotive robot project to do and I want to implement CAN networking. I need a uC with all the circuitry on it. Atmel and Microchip seems to be very popular but I don't know wich one to chose. I need an advice.

Thank

Mendoza

Hi,

I am using PIC but I have found that Atmel seems also nice (more rxbuffers, mask, etc). You should also select one depending on your development tools.

Look if you are using a compiler for Atmel that can work also with these Can parts.
If you have avaliable emulator or you are planing to buy one.
The good thing about PICs it is that you can buy the ICD2 debugger and it is not expensive at all.

To sum up, don't look jut to the Microcontrollers to choose one look also to the development enviroment&compiler.

Best regards,

mimoto

can was made by siemens , so it is good to have a look to infineon site as well

Take a look to SJA1000 from philips

SALUDOS EN LA PAGINA DE WWW.ATMEL.COM PUEDE VER LAS CARACTERISTICAS Y ATMEL ES MEJOR PARA TRABAJAR CON EL BUS CAN

/ Warning #1 - only write in English here! /

TAMBIEN PUEDES USAR MICROCONTROLADORES DE PHILIPS

/ Warning #3 - You should still write in English. Otherwise you will be banned /

:) I am Using Microchip 18F248. Seems to be reliable and good.
Regards
Rajasekar

dsp

DSP may be an another choice , such as TMS320F243 , TMS320F2407.
FullCAN with 2.0B

I worked with pics and mcp2510 in conjuntion with PCA82c250 driver.
It work fine. You have some specific uC pic with built in CAN controller. Look at www.microchip.com

Regards,
Frr

I have used the motorola DSp family and it works fine

CAN Interface

Hi all!
I've been working with Fujitsu MD90F543, which has two CAN interfaces, plus PCA82C251 CAN driver. Fujitsu's tools are for free and with very good introductory examples.
You can see one developpment board at
**broken link removed**
It supports Softune (Fujitsu's development environment) ,as well as Processor Expert (www.processorexpert.com).

REgards

Analog Deviece's DSP processor ADSP-21992 has CAN bus interface.

Hello,

I have used the PIC18f248, PIC18f448. I am pretty satisfied with them. The best thing of Microchip, I think, is that you can buy a low cost debugger (ICD2) that it is very useful for software development. Microchip also is introducing new PICs with CAN and with more capabilities.

Best regards,

mimoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back