Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anyone tell me something about harmonic balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liuzhili

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I read some papers that Power amplifier need hamonic balance, and heard that it's very important and necessary, but I dont know what hamonic balance used for?

I look for some theory, tutorial and other articals about this

Thank you very much.

i think that this is the solving technique of some simulator like ADS "i guess", while other simulators like spectre use shooting "i guess 2".

this methodes are needed in solution of circuits that contain a varibale "periodic" operating point, which involves frequency translation, an example would be LNA and mixer and oscillators, these methodes saves simulating time

Hi,

You can probably find some information about this and other nonlinear stuff in the book "Nonlinear microwave and RF circuits" by Stephen A Maas.

Maybe the book can help you, it seems quite difficult to find an easy real world example of how to do the harmonic balance calculations yourself.
But if you use some simulation software you don't need to worry to much about this.

//Joakim

Hi liuzhili
Harmonic balance is a frequency-domain analysis technique for simulating nonlinear circuits and systems.
like IMD3 ,third-order intercept point ,intermodulation distortion components & p1 db of power amplifiers can be simulated using Harmonic balance.Harmonic balance simulation makes possible the simulation of circuits with multiple
input frequencies.

U can Use ADS to Harmonic balance simulation

in cadence, you should choose PSS simulation which is similar compared to HB simulation with different calculate method(time domain), and it will cost more simulation time.

HB is a frequency domain analysis , it work in the harmonics and solve the circuit response in frequency domain , so it is very good in nonlinear analysis like P1db , IIP3 , IM , and so on
PSS is a time domain , so it is better in oscillators , and consume more time

khouly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back